Weird gameplay with vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

Hi, I have had vista for about a month now, and i have the video card drivers that ati released for it, but when i play fsx it isn't as smooth as i would expect. With my specs, i would expect to be able to play this game on ultra high settings at 50-70 fps, but it seems like i am getting 20-40. Im guessing that it has something to do with vista our my drivers? I tried lowering the settings to medium-high, and it was still fairly laggy. Any suggestions?

Try reinstalling the drivers, and free hard drive space. Vista probably takes more hard drive memory then Windows XP, and r u using 2 GB of RAM?

Any other suggestions? Its really starting to bother me, it looks = to or worse then fs9, and im getting like 10 fps.

Vista takes alot more system power than XP. Also, vista is in beta so therefore it has not been refined to run things properly. These 2 things can affect performance alot. Also, FSX takes a really powerful system to play.

Vista is a power-hungry piece of bloatware with GREAT "security". No, really. It literally LAGS when I try to resize my window. And no, my stuff ain't crappy. I can play Far Cry at 1440x900 with everything MAXED AA 6x AF x16 [~73FPS].

Second, Vista, like I said, is power-hungry. It takes up 80% of my 1GB of ram doing it's own little "goodies" to "protect me", leaving me with barely anything but the pagefile to actually run things. XP takes what, like 5%? A game I tried in Vista ran ~27FPS slower than the same game on XP [FEAR].

I have 4 gigs of ddr2 and a core 2 duo. Vista shouldn't touch that, even if it is power hungry.

twite said:
I have 4 gigs of ddr2 and a core 2 duo. Vista shouldn't touch that, even if it is power hungry.
Good point there.

Is your game rendered by Direct3D or by OpenGL? OpenGL with ATI currently is t3h suX0rs on Vista, so if your game runs on OpenGL, you're totally pwned unless it features a Direct3D renderer as well.

Also, remember - drivers for the Vista release candidates/betas are still.... well, beta. They can possibly perform pretty bad.

To help reduce the number of blind responses here are the requirements of the game
* Microsoft® Windows® XP SP2 / Vista
* PC with 1 GHz equivalent or higher processor
* 256 MB of system RAM for Windows XP SP2 / 512 MB Vista
* 14 GB available hard disk space
* DVD-ROM drive
* 32 MB DirectX 9 compatible video card required
* Sound card, speakers or headphones required for audio
* Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
* 56.6 Kbps or better modem for online play

This suggests that it uses D3D instead of OpenGL - which you can usually assume since it's an MS game anyway.

Thanks LNC, i just uninstalled vista and reinstalled windows xp. Their were so many problems with vista that i got tired of using it..although i did expect it since it is a beta.

Ok, so i formatted my Hd, reinstalled xp, installed all of my drivers (newest) installed direct x 9c, installed fsx, and its still crappy. Whats going on here? Could it be a hardware error? Maybe the gfx card is bad?

Im having the same problem with Beta 2. Crappy frame rates. Game play in Beta 1 was perfectly smooth and ran as well as it does in XP.

twite said:
Ok, so i formatted my Hd, reinstalled xp, installed all of my drivers (newest) installed direct x 9c, installed fsx, and its still crappy. Whats going on here? Could it be a hardware error? Maybe the gfx card is bad?

Something's borked in your system then. Install another game or something like 3DMark to test whether something really is borked or it's just the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back