Weird notepad thing

Rik

Thanx to Taima from xfire for this one.

Open note pad up.

Type "bush hid the facts"(without the quotes)

Save it as what ever you want.

Reopen it and see what happens.

Very odd indeed.

Yup, just tried it and all I get is: See attachment, because if I try and copy and paste it into the reply window, it just comes up as 畢桳栠摩琠敨映捡獴, which is even weirder.

I haven`t a clue why this happens, but would sure love to know.

Regards Howard :)

Attachments

• weird.txt
    18 bytes · Views: 19
From Wikipedia:
While "Bush hid the facts" is the sentence most forwarding around the Internet, the bug does not exclusively occur with that phrase. The bug will manifest itself with many sentences of a particular structure: One word with 4 letters, two or more words with 3 letters, one word with 5 letters. Except for the starting character all the letters must be lower case. Other phrases that will expose the same bug are: "Bill can not dance", "John has the parts", "this app can break", and "Feel the new power".

The bug appears when such a string is entered into Notepad (with no other characters) and then saved as a text file. Upon reloading the file into Notepad the text will be replaced with nine Chinese characters (or squares if the language pack has not been installed).

Yeh, sorry for the buzzkill. But I thought I had seen something about that working with a few other things before, so I looked it up real quick :)

The reason it happens has to do with the way Notepad saves txt files:
eeggs.com said:
This is a bug where notepad misinterprets the encoding,
it is not an easter egg...

"abcd efg hij klmno", "xxxx xxx xxx xxxxx" or anything similar will work to.

It will only occur if the file is saved as ANSI
Also, this does not work on windows 95, 98, ME

Back