Weird ping issues with wireless connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacks

I have no idea what's going on here. One of the computers has an adapter connected to a router on another computer. I've usually gotten around 50-60 ping in online games, and for no apparent reason, everything seems to have somehow screwed itself up. The internet connection itself is completely fine, the connection is good (3-4 out of 5 bars for signal strength), and it's at 108 mbps. But my ping is incredibly jumpy, and is usually anywhere from 70-120. I've tried adjusting the router's antennae, and that helped the internet connection, but the games refuse to get any better. For some reason, it's exclusively affecting games. I ran spyware checks and do virus scans every morning, and nothing made any difference. I have no idea what this is, since I've tried reinstalling the games. Yesterday it was completely normal for a while, then later skipped back to this. I have no idea why it's happening or why it only affects games.

games are a particularly heavy impact on our home routers.

if the internet ping to your ISP site is good, then the issue is the game itself.

make sure you have no interference from outside sources --
get a copy of Network Stumber to see other WiFi systems nearby and adjust your
channel number to be away from all of them.

also avoid all cordless phones in the home on 2.4ghz or your cell phone

I haven't moved the phones, and I've never had this problem before, even when someone was using the phones.

There's only one other network in the area, and I've known about it and have never had any trouble before. There also shouldn't be any way for this adapter to have anything to do with that network, and like I said, this problem came out of nowhere.

But it's not. I checked and the Wii is also having trouble, it can't even connect anymore. So the problem is definitely the router, or something interfering with it.

first thing is to verify your TCP settings

this will prove your system TCP config is correct AND will get your browser running.

Once that works, we can get the Wii and other devices running to.

Before your next post do this
run->cmd /k ipconfig /all >mytcp.txt​
and then attach the file (\Documents & Settings\yourloginid\mytcp.txt) to your follow-up

It seems to be quite a bit better. At first I assumed it was the weather, since Chicago has had a lot of snow and just plain bad weather recently, and if the weather stays like this and the connection gets better, then I might have to say it was the weather. Anyway, I don't want to mess with anything until I've waited a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back