Weird problem with Abit NF7-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I just got a new motherboard and I'm having some issues with it...

The problem is that as soon as I fresh format Win XP SP1 I go to install the latest nforce2 chipset drivers from nvidias website.. Once the computer tries to get into windows again after reboot the "progress bar" on the windows XP boot screen just keeps scrolling... and the hard drive activity just stops and it sits at this screen forever... Can't even boot into safemode.. starts loading files and then just stops...

It seems as though one or more of the drivers that's being installed with the nforce drivers are causing an issue... I even tried formatting and installing the older nforce chipset drivers from the CD that came with the mobo with no success..

I have flashed the motherboard to the latest official bios on their website (i think 12?) and configured bios options to the best of my knowledge..

My specs are as follows..

Athlon 1400+
Abit NF7-S rev. 2 (new)
512 Meg crucial PC2100 memory
300 watt PSU (new)
Phillips Acoustic Edge Soundcard
Matroix Millenium G550
ONBOARD Lan
WD400JB 40 Gig SE drive (new)
Afreey 56x CD-ROM
Ricoh/Justlink CD-RW

I appreciate any help you can give.

Very strange. I have the exact same mobo and installed WinXP Sp1 and the supplied drivers without any problem.

Did you remember to reset the CMOS and then check the bios settings after the bios update?

Also, check that all your mobo/device connections are good.

What PSU are you using? The Athlon 1400 is the most power hungry CPU ever produced, so maybe your PSU is not up to the task. Please post the PSU current rating for the +12v (see side label of PSU).

had a 300 watt PSU before.. Didn't have any problems with it for 2 years...

I didn't reset CMOS but I did go into the bios and load fail-safe defaults or whatever.. It didn't say in the readme to reset the CMOS. (altho I know this is a common practice after flashing the bios).. should I go ahead and do that?

also I'll checkthe devices and everything..

If you're still having problems, and you haven't reset the CMOS, then its worth a go. The reason you need to do this is to clear any invalid data/anomalies that may have resulted from the bios flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back