Weird Start Menu problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobogo_rct

taskbar.jpg

If you look at the image above i have tried to illustrate my problem, XP pro has suddenly started to get this percuiliar error!
Every time i hover over an item on the task bar it displays the "name" of the previously hovered shortcut.
e.g. in the picture I have hovered over NetMeeting but Windows is showing "America Online" Which is on the right.
I have discoverd that what happens is
e.g. If i hover over the Kazaa shortcut it will display the title of the previous shortcut i.e. AOL, then if i move to another shortbut it will display Kazaa, then if i move back to Kazaa it will show the previous title!! It also does this with the items in the bottom right! and all my desktop items!!

It has only just suddenly started to do this today!!

Any advice!!?

Sorry Mate, can't help you with your problem... But i'd like to know what that Winamp plug-in? proggy thingy?? is in your taskbar...

Cheers...

Its the New Windows Media Player 9, you have an option when you right click on the taskbar under Toolbars>Windows Media Player and if that is enabled, when you minimize WMP it gives u a nifty plugin thingy on the taskbar!! :)

Um It was running with double the amount of icons, i dont think that is the problem!
I have tried "rebuilding icons" in Tweak UI, no luck

How do i turn off tooltips??

Maybe stupid suggestion, but have you tried unlocking the task bar, and maybe resize it then resize it back again. Have you rebooted? Sometimes wierd things like that fix themselves.

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, but try disabling tool tip fade in/out in START/Control Panel/System/Performance/Advanced

I've seen tool tips get 'stuck' from time to time, only to be solved by a reboot.. they might be fading in improperly leaving that black stuff there.

If this does fix/help it, then it might be worth a shot to update your video drivers to solve any alpha blending problems.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
You can always reinstall Windows!:grinthumb

Thyat isn't a solution for anything. If it ever happened again he would be in the same boat he is now.

I think maybe turning off the tooltips and turning them back on or maybe a reboot should fix it. If neither of those will fix it, tell me the last time it worked and anything you did since then.

tooltip.jpg

I have disabled all those! but i couldnt see an option to completely disable tool tips as they are still there, just the shadowing is off.
What i have recently installed!?

USB 2.0 Card
Latest Nvidia Drivers
Opera V 7
Windows Updates
JDK
WMP9
PowerToys
3DMark

Could very well be WMP 9. That looks like the only thing that affected the taskbar. Did you set a restore point before the install?

Why not try turning WMP off completely and see if it fixes it. May need to reboot without WMP being allowed to start with Windows if you have it set to do so.

Well, try running it without the taskbar/tray option thing. I think that may be the problem. I turned it on yesterday and my tooltips go away completely, so I turned it off and everything was normal. I'm pretty sure that is what is causing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back