Weird sudden restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play world of warcraft, and sometimes when I'm playing in full screen mode, i accidentally hit the windows key, which stops the game because the start bar has been initiated. Every time it does that, it either takes forever to ''catch up'' (meaning my desktop takes forever to ''load'') or what usually happens is my computer will all the sudden quickly shut off, and restart immediately. I really don't know the cause of this, my computer is custom build, but the mobo and processor are really outdated. Everything else is fairly new. Could the processor be the problem?

What are your system specs? What operating system are you running? Whilst you're playing, is everything running fine? You could always try not hitting the Windows key during gameplay lol.

Spyder_1386 :)

I'm running XP home, i only have 1 gig of ram, 512mb video card. Yeah, i really never have problems in the game, but it did that before, and my friend said he thought my pc was overheating, and when i opened it up, there was dust everywhere, so i got the compressed air and cleaned it out, and it's been running fine, besides what i mentioned. When i hit the windows key it's an accident :p i was just wondering why it would do that in general

Well a gig of RAM is quite little to be honest. Also, if you're running an anti-virus and firewall, this will add to the pressure on the system. You didn't mention what processor you're running or what power supply you've got.

There's a few other reasons why it could be running slowly: Overheating (like your friend mentioned which would cause the system to restart yes), viruses, malware, failure to defragment your hard drive or clean it up regularly etc.

Spyder_1386 :)

Well, when you run the game full screen and go to the desktop, do you let it load the desktop before going into the game again? If you try to go back to the game, its still running, then what your computer is trying to do is work harder to load that program up, the visuals and everything, catch up to where you should be because it is still running, which is really stressing your processor.

If it is happening when you hit window key then go back into the game right away, I would either get a better processor(Dual core if it is not already) because it could be overloading, trying to do too much, or just wait a bit, when you go to the desktop, then wait a while till its smooth and running, then click WoW on the task bar, only once, and wait till it loads.. I play a lot of games and tend to chat on MSN and play at the same time so I always play Window'd mode to refrain from overloading the computer.

Many times my computer will just, freeze up, or at least the program itself, rather then a restart, but computers are all different. I'd suggest that (if this is a frequent event) run it in WIndow'd mode at full resolution(Not the highest setting but big enough to fit your screen. You will have a task bar, but you can do other things easier, and it shouldnt restart this way.

Other then that you could take that key out of the keyboard(haha) or just try and refrain from hitting it. One other suggestion is, instead of clicking on WoW on the taskbar, wait a bit and hold ALT and press TAB, you should see the task-changer come up, keep holding alt, and every time you press TAB it goes over one program. When running a game and pressing this it brings you to the desktop, just like pressing the windows key, doing it again goes back to last program, this is a quick and easy way to switch between multiple tasks, rather then clicking, if you hate going from keyboard to mouse. Hope my suggestions help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back