Weird USB Prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

iCE

I have this really strange USB device problem. I have an Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG case which has two USB ports on the front.

My keyboard, mouse, and printer function fine if I connect them to those USB ports. However, if I connect my Kingmax USB2.0 key drive into one of the ports on the front of the case, the little red LED on it lights up but no drive is detected in Windows (XP).

When I plug in the key drive into a port on the back of my PC, it works!

I've checked all the cabling and connections within the case, installed the latest mobo chipset drivers and windows drivers and the damn thing still wont get detected on the front USB ports, wtf? I don't know whether this is a problem with the front USB ports or the key drive itself. Has anyone had a similar problem?

...and no it ain't a power problem, I have an Antec TruePower 430 Watt PSU.

Maybe your front USB-ports are 1.1 and some of the ports at the back that work are USB 2.0
Your device might not like USB1.1 (but should really)

Your USB front-panel cables are connected wrong.

It's the only practical explanation.

I'm sure they're connected correctly though, I pulled them all out and put them in again according to the mobo user guide :( and aren't USB2.0 devices meant to be backward compatible?

Yes...USB 2.0 devices are meant to be backward compatible. You might want to have another final look if the USB front cables are connected properly. It might be lose and you never know about it.

Yeah, I've checked them plenty of times. The cables must be faulty or something. I can live without the front USB ports, there are 6 on the back anyway.

I have this EXACT problem. has anyone come up with a solution or anything else to try?

Also, is the case you have an Antec case? Mine is (SX1040II), and someone else from another forum with a 1020AMG case (I think) had pretty much the same problem as well with no solution. Just a possible coincidence?

So any new thoughts or solutions?

Thanks a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back