TechSpot

Welcome screen, start menu, and desktop all vanished

By neverafretter
Jun 14, 2009
  1. I recently installed AVG to find and get rid of any viruses. It found many. I then restarted my computer and my welcome screen w/ all users, my start menu, and desktop all disappeared. I can only get to windows task manager. I cannot run regedit, msconfig, nor explorer.exe. I also cannot use system restore. I am running XP with SP3. Can anyone please help me?

2. mflynn

mflynn TS Rookie Posts: 2,655

Boot to Advanced boot Menu and try Safe Mode.

If that don't work then try "Last Known good..

Get back with results. Do not try to run any virus scanner yet!

Mike

3. neverafretter

neverafretter TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks mflynn

I've tried both. Safe mode gives me the same issues (No desktop, no welcome screen, and can only navigate through task mgr).
    "Last Known Good" did nothing as well. Still same issues.

4. mflynn

OK in Safe Mode using Taskmgr can you run cmd.exe to open a command prompt?

Mike

5. neverafretter

Sorry but I tried that as well and received an error message. Would you like me to try it again and post exactly what the error message states?

6. mflynn

No paste the below into the Taskmgr run

Paste following to Run command! This is System Restore
    Code:
    %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
    Mike

7. neverafretter

Tried it an received an error message that stated "Windows cannot find %SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe"

8. mflynn

Ok hang loose i am preparing a download for you.

Do you have a flash drive to get something to the affected computer?

mike

9. neverafretter

Yes I do. I am here awaiting your next instruction.

10. neverafretter

Just so you know. I am on the infected computer now. I am able to get to firefox via the task manager.

11. mflynn

12. neverafretter

I apologize Mike but can you be a bit more step by step. I'm not too tech savvy. Oh wait! I think I get it. Download the file, then in the script to paste, change the "h" to whatever letter the flash drive is?

13. mflynn

14. neverafretter

Sorry Mike. I sincerely appreciate your help, but I received the same error msg:
    "Windows cannot find rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 4 h:\dbfix.inf"
    I then saved it to my second hard drive "G" and received the same thing with the exception of the letter change to "g".
    I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it to a repair place, but I am going to at least wait until tomorrow to see if you or anyone else comes up with anything else.

15. mflynn

Check my last post and do the edit

Mike

16. neverafretter

Aggghhh!!! I was able to download, run, and enable all. The program asked me to reboot, so i did. Same problem. Nothing at all has changed.

17. mflynn

18. neverafretter

After 6 hours of scanning by the various suggested programs still the same thing.

19. mflynn

If you did all this scanning where are the logs you were supposed to post??!!

I need that Info. If you were able to do the entire 8 steps we can fix this.

After running Daft and RatsCheddar did you try to run Explorer again?

If you did get MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware did you select and remove the found items or just exit.

Run MawareBytes and Super again Quick Scans on both and attach the logs back here!

Mike

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.