Weres the best free Simple Linux Dowloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akaivan

Hey everyone. The title names it all. Im looking for sumthing i burn right to cd and nothing really complicated.. I have an old p2 and i wanna learn some linux.. SO please help me out.

Take a look HERE.

Knoppix is a live linux that your burn as an iso image to a cd. You can then boot from the cd and it doesn`t write to your hard drive.

Regards Howard :)

lol google....hahah but i cant read knoppix? other language... SO witch file should i download.

o ok lol, but theres so many choices.. witch onE? So i cloicked on 1 but it takes me to a page with several others... How do i burn these?

Which one did you click on?

If you clicked on download, the page that appears is a list of mirror sites where you can actually get it from.

I`d personally recommend bittorrent. Obviously you would either need to have bittorrent aready installed, or download and install it from HERE.

Once you`ve downloaded the linux programme. Burn the iso file as an image to either a cd or a dvd.

Regards Howard :)

i think i i have something called azueras. ok i think its downloading..I chose the cd 2 file 1. So i put 1 on each cd?

wait scratch that, its downloading but only 1 file. but theres plenty other files inside the one.do i spleit that into to or will it go into 1

ok i got nero 5 so i guess ittl work. thannks guys for ur help. BUt anyways i really didnt get my answer lol. I was looking for a linux to install on an old pc.. For a freind because i can put xp on it.Also knoppix is good for me cas i can learn bout linux.SO any ideas. I sall something called SUSE linux. IS it free?

All linux are free.There`s sometimes a handling charge if you order a CD.

I think UBUNTU would be better than Suse for your needs.It`s also got a live CD version.

There`s another thread HERE with more exciting Linux links.

How old is that PC? Most Linux distributions default to Gnome or KDE as the window manager and those are rather heavy.

i really dont know how old, i pt it 2gether a lil wile ago. Its runiing Ubuntu really slow kinda

The specs? How much RAM? Maybe use a smaller screen resolutions and turn off some eye candy?

it has like 128 mb ram.. 333 mhz.and like a 4 gig hd. and how do i turn off some other things? i think i got it to look as basik as possible

Needs more RAM.. You are better off with a window manager that is not KDE or Gnome. There are dozens of them out there, usually configurable to the infinity. If you want something that looks similar to Windows, try IceWM. If you want Something Completely Different, try WindowMaker or FWWM.

A window manager is a program that manages the windows of graphical applications - basically it is the desktop you see.

If you installed Ubuntu, then you ended up with a window manager called Gnome. (Actually, Gnome is a lot more, than just a window manager, but we'll keep things simple :p ) Gnome is the thing that shows you the login prompt, the fancy loading screen, the desktop, the panels and window decorations.

Unlike inferior operating systems (Windows), the OS itself, the graphics system and the desktop are completely separate and relatively independent in Unix and similar. The beauty of this is, that you can get rid of Gnome and use some other window manager (maybe not as pretty or streamlined, but a lot faster) instead without affecting any of your programs - they will display just the same, only with different window frames around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back