Westell D90-740010-06 DSL/Router + Compusa 54Mbps wireless router (SKU:333628)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I have subscribed to DSL and Teleco Video (cable) through my phone company. They provided the Westell Modem (Model #D90-740010-06). It has 4 ports but 3 goto the televisions for cable and the other is going to my personal computer.

I have a Compusa SKU:333628 wireless router I want to connect so i can also use my laptop.

my ISP will not assist since the connection works with model/personal computer with hardwired.

I thought I could just run a cable from one of the ports on the DSL/Router to the WAN port on my Wireless Router, however this did not work. So I ran a cable from one of the ports on the DSL/router to a regular ethernet port on the wireless routher (not the WAN) and I could hardwire both the desktop pc and wireless and connect to internet however the wireless would never work, my pc says wireless is connect but when I open IE or firefox it does not connect.

Can someone please help, I am going insane.

The following link will take you to the manual for my wireless router:

http://fmi.compusa.com/driver.asp?SKU=333628

and the following is the datasheet for the westell model/router

http://www.westell.com/images/products/ultraline.pdf

exact info on the dsl/router

Model Number D90-740010-06
Serial Number 07B402950053
MAC Address 00:18:3a:39:db:76
Software Version VER:4.03.02.02
Software Model 4 Port Gateway
Description WireSpeed Data Gateway
Boot Loader VER:4.03.02.02
Configuration 096-900158-00A

Thanks
Martin Maynard
In Loving memory of our daughter
Bailey DeLonais Maynard
January 13, 2005 - March 28, 2005
SIDS IT'S REAL!!!!
www.healingokhearts.org

You have 2 routers - they are both trying to issue IP addresses so it is not surprising that there is a problem. If you can disable DHCP on the wireless router it might work as a wireless switch or hub. It is worth a try.

I'll start off by saying you need to disable DHCP in your wireless router, and usually you can't double wan with good results.

It can work. I don't know the model, so am little help from a distance. but if you run the ethernet RJ-45 cable from their Westell modem to your wireless (and your CompUSA model has the standard four ports, you can then run the second cable from the the wireless router via the #1 port to your computer ethernet socket on your computer.
You will need to have the wireless unit software already installed, and check your connections as before, by entering 198.165.0.1 or whatever.

Thanks for the info but still not successful.

I have disable the DHCP on the router and have also assigned an IP address to the router (192.168.1.51).

I took the passthrough cable that was originally going from the dsl/router to the desktop computer and ran it from the DSL/router to the wireless router. Originally I connected it to the WAN on the Wireless router but that didnt work, what I did was connect it to port #2 on the wireless router and ran another cable from the port number #3 on the router to the home pc and then another cable from port #4 to my laptop. it works this way but again the wireless part does not.

I have also assigned Different IP addressed to each computer. (actually tried it both ways trying to set it to automatically detect did not work but when I assigned ip address it did work.

sounds complicated but I am sure it is something simple I am not doing, I just do not know what.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the CompUSA Wireless router, but you are doing everything right.
When you look at your wireless documentation, does it tell you it is a router or an access point or other? Have you looked at the documentation for the wireless and the documentation for the Westell. The secret is in there somewhere.
I assume you have put installed your wireless directly on one of the computers and it tests as ok... does it detect any wireless connections in the neighborhood?

The wireless router does test ok when connected directly to computer (again, have to use port other than wan port, computer does not detect router when connected directly via wan port).

My laptop will even detect the connection and connect to wireless router, but when I try to go online it never actually connects. If I connect the hardwire then I connect just fine. But I really want to connect wirelessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back