Western Digital Caviar 250GB wont give the FULL size

Status
Not open for further replies.

raz0r

hello all

today i have buyed a 250 GB Western Digital 7200rpm 8mb casch but when i format the drive he wont give 250 but 232 GB :confused: its ATA/UDMA100 set as slave on a
AMD 1800XP
512 MB DDR
Geforce 3 ti200
80 GB WD 7200rpm 8mb casch
250 gb WD 7200RPM 8 mb casch
Windows xp pro corp.

tnx alot ppl

:)

I didn't do the math, but that sounds about right. There is a difference in the size the manufacturere advertises, and the actual reported size once the disc is installed on the system. Manufactures report the size as 1billion bytes=1GB, where your computer uses 1024MB=1GB. Manufactures also round up sometimes to make the size even out and make it look more desirable. an example would be a drive with 123billion bytes capacity might be sold as a 125GB or 128GB because it looks better on paper. I believe that tactic is mostly used by lesser brands, but I'm not completely sure if some of the major makers may use it as well.

Bummer.
As another example, my WD 120GB reads in the POST as 120,000MB exactly, but it's only 111GB.

I think someone is actually suing all the major manufacturers on this basis...I know I'd like my 9GB back.

yep i asked two ppl 1 of them have a maxtor 120 GB and gives 111GB as you said really strange but i have the idea that this is correctly

Yes... like my pair of 76GB IBM GXP75's......

oooppss!!!! I thought the box had 80gb written on it!!!!

Its just a marketing trick, don't worry, your HDD is okay, what is broken is the manufacturers strategy :p

Ohh , by the way, now that we are in this topic.

In one of the servers we have at the office, there is a new dual xeon machine with 4 SCSI Seagate 36GB 15000 RPM drives in raid. Each disk is very expensive, about 500 bucks each, and it's not targeted at the home user.

Surprisingly enough, when you check the disk space in windows, they are 36GB real!

Originally posted by dani_17
Ohh , by the way, now that we are in this topic.

In one of the servers we have at the office, there is a new dual xeon machine with 4 SCSI Seagate 36GB 15000 RPM drives in raid. Each disk is very expensive, about 500 bucks each, and it's not targeted at the home user.

Surprisingly enough, when you check the disk space in windows, they are 36GB real!

Come to think of it, I've always seen all SCSI drives listed as their real size (I assume) and not rounded up. It's marketing...
Athlon XPs:pR Ratings::IDE Drives:Rounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back