1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Western Digital launches My Passport Pro, first Thunderbolt-powered portable dual hard drive

By Shawn Knight ยท 6 replies
Mar 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital recently introduced the My Passport Pro. The storage solutions company describes it as the first portable, Thunderbolt-powered dual-drive solution that operates without the need for an AC adapter or any extra cables.

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,411   +339

2TB $299 waaa it should be $199!

3. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,256   +1,515

Just another BS product. There isn't s single portable hard drive today that could use up the throughput of USB 3.0, and while the latter is ubiquitous, thunderbolt is totally not, and an absolute overkill for such a device.

The only area in which it will perform faster than a USB 3.0 equivalent is sucking money out of your pocket, because thunderbolt connectivity is more expensive.

4. VitalyT, you should learn a bit about RAID-0, this mode increases the speed by reading/writing data simultaneously from/to both drives.

m4a4 likes this.
  5. The 230mBps iw for sure in raid0. a regular mechanical drive can do 100-150mBps. bottom line is usb3 is enough for this kind of speed. thunderbolt is not needed here.

6. Absolutely true. Not sure what Guest #1 is talking about; even with RAID-0, there's plenty of throughput available in a USB 3.0.

VitalyT likes this.
  7. It is ridiculous that this is being called the first Thunderbolt bus powered drive. I have been using the G-Tech 1TB drive for over a year. That is powered by either the Thunderbolt port or a USB 3 port. Does not even have a power adapter and gets speeds of 130 MBs with a single drive inside.