TechSpot

Western Digital launches My Passport Pro, first Thunderbolt-powered portable dual hard drive

By Shawn Knight
Mar 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital recently introduced the My Passport Pro. The storage solutions company describes it as the first portable, Thunderbolt-powered dual-drive solution that operates without the need for an AC adapter or any extra cables.

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,189   +244

2TB $299 waaa it should be $199!

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,971   +586

Just another BS product. There isn't s single portable hard drive today that could use up the throughput of USB 3.0, and while the latter is ubiquitous, thunderbolt is totally not, and an absolute overkill for such a device.

The only area in which it will perform faster than a USB 3.0 equivalent is sucking money out of your pocket, because thunderbolt connectivity is more expensive.

4. VitalyT, you should learn a bit about RAID-0, this mode increases the speed by reading/writing data simultaneously from/to both drives.

m4a4 likes this.
  5. The 230mBps iw for sure in raid0. a regular mechanical drive can do 100-150mBps. bottom line is usb3 is enough for this kind of speed. thunderbolt is not needed here.

6. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Enthusiast Posts: 181   +55

Absolutely true. Not sure what Guest #1 is talking about; even with RAID-0, there's plenty of throughput available in a USB 3.0.

VitalyT likes this.
  7. It is ridiculous that this is being called the first Thunderbolt bus powered drive. I have been using the G-Tech 1TB drive for over a year. That is powered by either the Thunderbolt port or a USB 3 port. Does not even have a power adapter and gets speeds of 130 MBs with a single drive inside.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.