TechSpot

Western Digital Raptor...

By MetalX
Jun 26, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I were to get one of Western Digital's Raptor 10,000RPM hard drives, I was wondering what I should put on it.

The one I may get will likely be the 36GB, possibly the 74, but there is no chance that it will be the 150. In addition to this, I plan to buy a 320GB hard drive for additional storage.

But what sort of things would I put on the Raptor? I'm guessing putting Windows on it would decrease boot times, and I suppose I should put games that have incredibly long loading times so that they can load faster.

Really, I just want to clarify that this would be the proper use of the drive, and whether or not it is worth the insane $:GB ratio for the performance benefits.

Or should I just buy a 320GB and a 500GB?
  2. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TS Enthusiast Posts: 196

Not having ever owned something that zoomed like 10K RPM, I would guess that the extra 2,800 RPM wouldn't make the extra money worthwhile. It's still not filling the SATA throughput cap of 3GB/s. Not a bleedin' chance.

Tell me if I'm wrong here, I'm just taking a stab at it.
  3. MetalX

MetalX TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,909

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am leaning toward getting 2 high capacity 7200RPM drives...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.