Western Digital, Seagate, and Maxtor all go to 1 year warranties...

By Vehementi
Sep 14, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seems we're stuck with only one manufacturer supporting 3 year warranties...how ironic :(

Terrible...just terrible. I can't believe it...
  2. labuerkle

labuerkle Newcomer, in training

Who?

Who is the last one left with a 3 year warrenty?
  3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

IBM. I think Samsung does too. It's ironic because the Deskstar models of IBM drives are now nicknamed the Deathstars. :p

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't buy an IBM drive if it were $30 cheaper than a HDD of the same speed/capacity by WD or Seagate.
  4. labuerkle

labuerkle Newcomer, in training

Business

I won't be buy any drives with a one year warranty. I have had 2 drives go out since I have had a computer back in 94. One after 2 years and 364 days and another one some time in it's second year.

A one year warranty is simple not enough and I can't trust a company that can't back up its products. To me this means they don't believe their hard drives can last longer then a year. Wheater this is true not doesn't matter to me.

Larry
  5. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 3,199

Agreed labuerkle, but keep in mind not all of the models made by these drive companies are 1 year warranties. I think WD's only warranty cut was on the Caviar.
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Looking at my 7200 rpm model, http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hdd/sv4002h.html , I noticed that there was Component Design Life 5 years. The store from where I bought it says warranty is indeed three years :).
    But still, five years is not much. I have a twelve-year-old hdd (105M Seagate) which still works 'as new'.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.