TechSpot

Western Digital, Seagate, and Maxtor all go to 1 year warranties...

By Vehementi
Sep 14, 2002
  1. Seems we're stuck with only one manufacturer supporting 3 year warranties...how ironic :(

Terrible...just terrible. I can't believe it...

2. labuerkle

labuerkle TS Rookie

Who?

Who is the last one left with a 3 year warrenty?

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,704

IBM. I think Samsung does too. It's ironic because the Deskstar models of IBM drives are now nicknamed the Deathstars. :p

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't buy an IBM drive if it were $30 cheaper than a HDD of the same speed/capacity by WD or Seagate.

4. labuerkle

labuerkle TS Rookie

Business

I won't be buy any drives with a one year warranty. I have had 2 drives go out since I have had a computer back in 94. One after 2 years and 364 days and another one some time in it's second year.

A one year warranty is simple not enough and I can't trust a company that can't back up its products. To me this means they don't believe their hard drives can last longer then a year. Wheater this is true not doesn't matter to me.

Larry

5. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 2,704

Agreed labuerkle, but keep in mind not all of the models made by these drive companies are 1 year warranties. I think WD's only warranty cut was on the Caviar.

6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Looking at my 7200 rpm model, http://www.samsungelectronics.com/hdd/sv4002h.html , I noticed that there was Component Design Life 5 years. The store from where I bought it says warranty is indeed three years :).
    But still, five years is not much. I have a twelve-year-old hdd (105M Seagate) which still works 'as new'.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.