Western Digital vs. Seagate vs. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnWarierMage224

Hi folks,

I'm looking to buy an external hard drive to serve as backup media for my laptop.
My current EHD is a Maxtor OneTouch III, that's about two years old. And it just died. This morning.

So I'm in the market.

What I've looked at so far is the following:

WD Passport: I'm leaning towards this one because what few reviews I've read say its pretty reliable. The price is also right.

Seagate eSATA: Again, also fairly decent reviews, and also priced right.

Basically, what I want is something that's pretty much just a hard drive. No frills or BS, because I have the backup programs which I need. Purists will say buy a hard drive and an enclosure and DIY, but I don't have that kind of time, as much as I'd love to do that.

Thanks,

-UnWarierMage

WD Passport
from my clients list this seems to be the best
note: the seagate list is pretty bare so ??
just remember don't over heat don't bump around while unit is reading /writing
short 10gb writes seem to keep over heating down
as always backup important data

The Seagate model is: Seagate ST3300601XS-R 300GB External Hard Drive
Another one I am considering is: Toshiba HDDR200E02X 200GB Portable External Hard Drive

One thing i am concerned about, however: my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400, and I've read a few complaints about some USB ports being unable to power these drives (especially the WD Passport). I don't know the power rating on my USB ports, so could anyone tell me if it would work?

-UnWarierMage

i have had better results from seagate HDD western digitals always seem to fail in my customers pc's. All i can say is research the drives before you buy. Word of mouth is the best way to pick and choose hardware!

from my experience seagate is better than western digital...seagate can last up to 3 years whereas western digital cant even survive for a year...atleast from my experience..

I feel your pain UnWarierMage224. I'm also looking for an external hard drive and was about to purchase a Western Digital My Book2 Home/Studio or Office 1TB model when I came across this webpage: I can't forward the link as I'm a new member but please google for: tomrafteryit dot net /western-digital-my-book-pro-edition-ii-sucks/comment-page-10/#comment-334440

Seem like Western Digital are the biggest load of crap according to these guys - and I find that hard to believe. Seagate are apparently as bad. Offer a better warranty - but is that really what we're supposed to be looking for in a hard drive - a warranty?

All my tech mates (who work in the IT field) swear by Iomega because hard drives are the only thing that the company makes. Check this out: again, I can't post the link, but google: iomega-europe dor com/section?SID=1180374f80ff178dde002d84c9e495e098b:4725&secid=39290

And google a few reviews. Let me kow what you think?
Cheers.

When Every Move Is the Wrong One.......

This is a rough market for a large capacity HDD. Seagate is having major problems with it's "7200.11 Barracuda" offerings at the present time. Personally I do favor the Seagates, because I think they're a little quieter.
Gotta say though, I have a 160GB WD "Caviar SATA150 in my desktop that's noisy, but is still going strong after 4 years.
I understand that Seagate has gone back to a 3 year warranty on many of their drives, so that's no longer a selling point.
Maxtor does have a maginally bad reputation. None of this helps does it? Take the scientific approach, flip a coin. I don't think there's a right answer, although some of our lifers here have gone back to WD.

WD Passport
from my clients list this seems to be the best
note: the seagate list is pretty bare so ??
just remember don't over heat don't bump around while unit is reading /writing
short 10gb writes seem to keep over heating down
as always backup important data

my brother has that wd drive, its pretty good from what he tells me.

ive had my WD drive for little over 3 years and its starting to crash so its not that good from my experience

current reviews are showing poor reliability of the newely manufactured W.D. drives :(

I just installed (2) Seagate 500gig sata drives for a friend and they are extremely quiet
and fast on a 2-core dell 1.86ghz system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back