WFP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I keep getting WFP popping up all the time. I notice it alot when downloading midi for my cellphone...but happens randomly for no apparent reason as well.

I have all the service packs - WMP 9 (don't want it)

I have Norton Utils up to date

Is there a way to see exactly WHAT file WFP is looking for so I can try and see what program is changing this? This has been going on for several months now..and stability of my machine has not been an issue.

If WFP is asking you to insert your windows cd so that it can replace a damaged/incorrect file, then it would be a good idea to do so.

However, you don't explain your problem clearly enough, so I am not entirely sure of what you are trying to say.

Some useful info would be ...

What OS is it you are using?
What does the Message Box say when it appears?
etc.

I am using XP home...I've done it before (that is..put the disk in)...it corrects the problem (so it says)...and then reverts back to giving me the warning message again.

It says "Files that are needed for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stabilty, Windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 1 CD now.

Like I said..if I download ringers (http://www.phunkyphones.net/polyphonic/polyphonicringtones_order.asp)

It goes nuts! I restore the "files" and download another 2-3 songs and walla...it needs the CD again? That's a little tedious.

The only other system files I have changed (on purpose) is using a new logon gui...but that has been on for 2 years...and this problem is only about 2-3 months old.

Is it only occurring when you download ringers, or does it happen after any download?

I know you said ringers, but I just want to be sure.

Something else that occurs to me, and can cause this problem, is if your system files are being corrupted by a faulty hard drive, or connection, or by some other means. This can happen if errors occur during file access, but I've only seen it once before.

Something else you can try is to go to the start menu, select the 'run' command, and type 'sfc /scannow' to check all windows files and update the dllcache with good copies. You'll need to put your windows cd in the drive while you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back