What ADSL modem to buy for 'Wires Only' installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

I need to purchase and self-install my own ADSL modem with splitters.

I have not a clue of which make of ADSL modem is worth or not worth getting.

Is there an external vs internal modem issue i.e. hard/soft modem chipsets for cpu usage??

Any help appreciated. :) (need info of modems from UK based retailers)

Re: hope these help

Yeah I would go with scan.
I have used Dabs as well and can't say I have had any problems really. The only thing with scan is if you work during the day they only deliver to the cardholders address so you can't get them to deliver to your place of work.

Well its the only USB ADSL modem I have used so I can't say that X was better than Y. Haven't had any problems with it though.
I would be tempted by the PCI internal option since its less loose cables and external bits sitting around. Saying that its always reassuring to look up and see the lights working away on the external unit (even though it and my firewall PC are now in a cupboard :haha: )

I found a site in the UK thats currently reviewing the Alcatel external model, hopefully they will finish it and post the review soon. Also some interesting info at:
www.adslguide.org.uk
adslguide.org reviews

Dabs.com has a very cheap internal PCI ADSL modem.

Quicklinx: 14XKWS

Can it be any good though? an ADSL modem is a long term investment!

I need a reply quite soon as I need to order the equipment ready for my phone line being ADSL activated.

Heres my current choices:

I also need to buy 3 DSL microfilters for my phone sockets costing £8.50 each from www.dslsource.co.uk.

Which ADSL modem should I get and why? :confused:

The known Alcatel brand or the DabsValue unknown brand internal modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back