TechSpot

What ADSL modem to buy for 'Wires Only' installation?

By Snowy Commando
Mar 16, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I need to purchase and self-install my own ADSL modem with splitters.

I have not a clue of which make of ADSL modem is worth or not worth getting.

Is there an external vs internal modem issue i.e. hard/soft modem chipsets for cpu usage??

Any help appreciated. :) (need info of modems from UK based retailers)

2. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

hope these help

3. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,552   +97

Re: hope these help

Yeah I would go with scan.
    I have used Dabs as well and can't say I have had any problems really. The only thing with scan is if you work during the day they only deliver to the cardholders address so you can't get them to deliver to your place of work.

4. Snowy Commando

Snowy Commando TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 205

BT uses the Speed Touch USB modem for their ADSL rollout installations.

I was wondering, if BT use them, should I get it and I can buy it packaged with 2 splitters here:

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/products/alcatel/usbsi.htm

Now they also do the internal version. Which is better though, external using slower USB bus or internal using faster PCI bus?

5. boeingfixer

boeingfixer TS Rookie Posts: 1,245

Hey Snowy Commando

Go here for all the latest info....they have alot of information about everything DSL

http://www.dslreports.com/

Hope this helps, and good luck.

6. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,552   +97

Well its the only USB ADSL modem I have used so I can't say that X was better than Y. Haven't had any problems with it though.
    I would be tempted by the PCI internal option since its less loose cables and external bits sitting around. Saying that its always reassuring to look up and see the lights working away on the external unit (even though it and my firewall PC are now in a cupboard :haha: )

I found a site in the UK thats currently reviewing the Alcatel external model, hopefully they will finish it and post the review soon. Also some interesting info at:
    www.adslguide.org.uk
    adslguide.org reviews

7. Snowy Commando

Dabs.com has a very cheap internal PCI ADSL modem.

Quicklinx: 14XKWS

Can it be any good though? an ADSL modem is a long term investment!

8. Snowy Commando

I need a reply quite soon as I need to order the equipment ready for my phone line being ADSL activated.

Heres my current choices:

I also need to buy 3 DSL microfilters for my phone sockets costing £8.50 each from www.dslsource.co.uk.

Which ADSL modem should I get and why? :confused:

The known Alcatel brand or the DabsValue unknown brand internal modem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.