What am I doing wrong?

By dhasdell
Oct 12, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Following the usual advice to "make sure you have the latest drivers installed" I have downloaded Realtek ALC650 AC97 Drivers v A3.64 . It's saved as an exe file, 10.5Mb, as stated on the page, but when I try to run it there's just a flicker of a DOS window, then nothing.
    What am I doing wrong?
  2. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,928

Open up a dos window, then execute the file again. Any error messages will remain on the screen. You may find the the file is corrupt.
  3. dhasdell

dhasdell Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

Thanks - tired that, but get a message to the effect that there's not enough memory.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Open & extract it with WinRAR.
  5. dhasdell

It shows as an exe - not a zip or any other extension.
  6. dhasdell

Oh! Well, that got me a whole lot of new files and stuff. Now I just have to find what to do with it. Thanks for pointing me the right way.
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Are you sure you downloaded the drivers for Windows?
  8. dhasdell

Think so - I got the ones which the page said were for XP. The WinRAR let me unzip it all. I'd assumed that as an exe file it would just run like most installers do.
  9. mrchu

mrchu Newcomer, in training Posts: 66

you should be able to right click, press extract here, go to the hardware and devices screen and search for the driver in the location you just extracted to.
  10. dhasdell

Thanks - fingers crossed then.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.