What Athlon XP CPU i can install?

By razzvanbot
Dec 6, 2006
  1. I have a ASUS A7S333 motherboard and a Athlon CPU at 1300 MHz. The board supports a maximum of FSB 266 Mhz. What Athlon XP CPU can i install for upgrade.

2. vintwala

vintwala TS Rookie

You can use Athlon xp cpu's ranging from 1500 to 2400 MHz on your motherboard. Because Athlon xp 2500 and up has a FSB of 333 and up.

I would recommend going for the 2400 just because there is not much of a price different if you get a 2200 or a 2100 cpu. You can check out this website for good deals.

Hope this helps.
  3. razzvanbot

razzvanbot Topic Starter

Does Athlon XP 1800+ or 2200+ has SSE and SSE2 instructions?
  4. vintwala

vintwala TS Rookie

5. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

That board should support 333mhz. Check Asus site and see if you have the latest BIOS.
  6. razzvanbot

razzvanbot Topic Starter

Please give me a link with the latest bios for A7S333 because i cannot find it on
  7. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Looks like the fastest CPU you can pop in there is the Athlon XP 2600+ (266FSB) (Model 8) (Thoroughbred).

Go HERE and follow the links for your motherboard.
  8. razzvanbot

razzvanbot Topic Starter

Please somebody give me a link with the ASUS A7S333 mathorboard manual.Thanks
  9. vintwala

vintwala TS Rookie

10. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hiya mate.

The AMD Athlon XP 2600+ is actually 333fsb and not 266fsb, I know this is correct as that`s the cpu I have in my system. The correct fsb setting in bios is 166mhz(333mhz effective). ;)

Regards Howard :)
  11. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

Hiya Howard :)

There are various versions of the Athlon XP 2600+. For example:

Part number AXDA2600DKV3D (333mhz)
    Part number AXDA2600DKV3C (266mhz)

The later, (the one with the "C" at the end) is actually a 266FSB processor. They are rare, and hard to find, but his board won't support the 333FSB (accorrding to the Asus CPU support page)
  12. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Posts: 2,273

If they are really hard to find ( cant find them on or any other store like Best Buy or CompUSA ) you might have to upgrade your Mobo or keep the one you have now
  13. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I didn`t know that mate.

Thanks for the info.

Regards Howard :)
  14. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

XP chips are sold all the time on ebay. They're getting harder to find and of course, ebay can be risky..... but..... if that's what ya need, then you might have to go there.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.