What brand of laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vassil3427

Hi,
One of my teachers will be purchasing a laptop in a week or two and he wanted to know which one he should get, as far as that goes he wants something in the area of $1000 to $1700..I know what type of processor and stuff I think would be good for him, but what brand(s) would you all recommend? He most likely wont be doing any gaming, he's going to be using it for his collage classes he's taking, so not really super demanding on graphics...just word processing and internet surfing...I think he'd like a nice warranty....

What size of screen does he require. What storage requirements?
Does he want something small and portable to take to classes?
If so then the Dell Inspiron is a little chunky for that purpose. Its more of a desktop replacement in a fairly portable box ;)
For portability without the need for blistering graphics performance (GF4Go or ATI Mobility 9000) I would be tempted to consider the Sony Vaio range of laptops.

For instance the Sony Vaio R505G SuperSlim Pro Notebook at the edge of his price range has features such as lightweight, comes with a docking station. It can give 3.0-9.0 hours usage with double capacity battery.

Dell also do some more portable models in the latitude range of laptops.

I bought a KDS Valiant notebook for 900 dollars. It is all that I needed when I got it. It has a 1 Ghz proc, 256MB ram, 20gig, 14.1" screen, Ethernet, Modem, etc. It was a good buy for that price IMO, but if all he needs to do is something that simple then this might be a good one to look into.

Just and update to this post, my teacher bought a new HP cause he got it for $350 less than its retail price cause it was a display model, I think it has the mobile Athlon XP 1600+, and a 30GB HDD.....The only thing I dis-liked about it is the touch-pad mouse, it's just like the laptops from 4 years ago, the thing goes nuts sometimes:dead: ....other than that its cool, he's going to use it to display notes using powerpoint on this big tv he has in his classroom, only problem is we have to order a VGA to S-Video adapter...the display model didnt have an s-video output:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back