What can i do with it? Compaq Proliant ML370

By halo71
Jun 23, 2006
Post New Reply
  1. After cleaning out a computer closet yesterday at work. Getting rid of old printers, monitors, jetdirects, cables etc. I came across this server. My boss had said to junk everything. So he said I could have this if I wanted it.

Not sure what I can do with it to be of any use other than maybe data storage and back up. Maybe a game server?!? Although i am not a big gamer.

I dont know much at all about it except it has slots for at least 8 drives and presently has four of the following drives in the slots:

9.1 GB 10000 RPM Wide Ultra 3 SCSI.

With the proper enclosures, could I make an external drive out of one of these to use as portable mp3 storage maybe??
  2. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

anything is possible.. as long as you have working condition parts and stuff..

i'd be dreaming if i got a server for free... but yeh, you could run anything from file/backup server to printer or games.. even a webserver :D
  3. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 1,090

You know off hand if they make a external case for this type of drive?
  4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

not off hand.. i was probably a noob when that was invented, so i realy dont have a clue.. apart from that if it uses IDE ribbon or scsi you may have a chance at aquireing a hdd enclosure > usb2/firewire for it from your local pc parts retailer.....