TechSpot

What card will fit..sorry newbie here

By takeanumber3333
Sep 12, 2006
  1. Hi, Im brand new here and really dont know much at all about computer hardwear, so I need some help. I just bought this game(Civ IV) and it seems my video card isent good enough to play it.

Now heres the problem, I have no idea what info is needed to figure out what kind of video card is compatible with my computer, and no idea what any of the abbreviations mean on the million different cards.

I have an Insignia D400a from Best Buy.

My question is, what information do I need to obtain in order to figure out what kind of card will fit, and how do I get that info.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
    Eric.

2. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Open the side, and at the bottom left tell me if all 3 or 4 or 5 slots are the same. If they are, get a X1300PCI for 114$ or a 6200.

3. Sharkfood

Sharkfood TS Guru Posts: 1,019

Hi, the Insignia 400A has no AGP or PCI-Express slot for upgrading the graphics.

It does have three PCI slots though, so you can buy a lower-end PCI (not to be confused with PCI-Express) videocard.

Another thread mentioned that VisionTek now makes an X1300 in PCI, which would stand to be your best choice. I haven't tried one yet as they are brand new, but in theory they should be pretty good for gaming.

They are on NewEgg for $115 but the question will be if your power supply has enough power for the new card.

The only way to check your power supply is to unfortunately, open the case and look at the wattage and amp ratings for the various voltages. It's usually a stick on the power supply itself.

4. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

5. takeanumber3333

takeanumber3333 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ok, well Ill check the power supply I have tomorrow when I wake up. How much does it need to be to work? 250w or greater right?

6. takeanumber3333

It says its a 230watt power supply. Is that enough to work with the card?

7. takeanumber3333

Bump.

Anyone?

8. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

A PCI only mobo will probably be ok with a PCI graphics card, however you're pushing the limits on a 250w PSU.

Try it and see if it works.
    You can get used 350W PSUs dirt cheap. they're a dime a dozen.
    BTW- bumps don't work here.

9. takeanumber3333

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.