What did I break in my PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on an old Dell Dimension 4100. Their seems to be some problems when I removed the RAM. I removed the RAM to clean off the access dust, inserted the RAM back and now the PC wont work. I dunno if I damaged the RAM or the motherboard. Anyway to tell.

Ive unplugged everything except power supply, video card, and RAM. PC will power on, cds will light up, fans turn on, accesses HD, but I never hear any beeps or disk drive being read. Monitor wont turn on. Tried different video cards just to make sure

When I remove the RAM, the computer will beep twice.

Any ideas?

My first suggestion would be plug it harder to make sure that you really plug the RAM in.

D.

I plugged it in where both of the white clips clicked in. Im assuming a PC cannot run without ram right. I was wondering perhaps I damaged the RAM as I might have put it in in the wrong direction at first.

Is your monitor blinking yellow light? Seem like a RAM problem to me, but it's not really easy to damage a memory card. Try to plug it in one more time to see if it works.

My monitor just stays yellow. The monitor is fine, I use it on my new PC I just purchased.

I mean the PC was working fine. All I did was remove the RAM and boom no longer working. I reinserted the RAM as far as it will go and no go. I assume when no ram is installed the PC beeps and when its installed it wont beep?

My brother and me agree with each other that there is a big chance one of the thing was not really pluged in yet.

Unplug everything you can, clean them all. And then put them back together. I hope that your computer will work after that.

The ram will fit in only one way and your system will not even boot if its not in all the way.

Did you touch the chips on the ram with your sweaty hands?:haha:

My hands never sweat. I did everything N305 that the tutorial said. Im thinking its the RAM thats bad but cant verify for sure. Its that or thr motherboard as I replaced each other component CD, HD, Soundcard, video card etc and everything worked fine. Couldnt check rsm or motherboard on other PC as they werent the same.

Everyone's hands sweat from time to time... Anytime we handle computer components, we take a chance in damaging them. If your hands were sweaty, this would have probably dissapated any damaging static charge

latex gloves usually have weird oil on them. I always worked with air-dried hands, and make them not sweat(lol :) ) Thats what I did on my first PC build, and it works at optimal levels. It perfect :) :) :) :)

sw123

I never wear gloves when I assemble or repair a PC. I work on a steel cart that is grounded, but the PC is on a wood plank base. I leave the power plug connected, but the master ATX power switch off. I also wear a grounded wrist strap when working with ungrounded motherboards

Why would you were latex gloves, never heard of that before? If you do not wear a grounding strap then you need to ground yourself before you transmitt static to your equipment. It only takes one volt to fry your equipment

smore9648 said:
Why would you were latex gloves, never heard of that before? If you do not wear a grounding strap then you need to ground yourself before you transmitt static to your equipment. It only takes one volt to fry your equipment

A static discharge is a lot more than 1 volt. More like 10000's of volts at very low amperage. If the motherboard is mounted in it's case, it is more protected against a static dicharge than if it is on a table by itself. I always install the CPU and it's HSF, and the memory before I install the motherboard in it's case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back