What do I do with this laptop?

PurpaFur

I recently found a Dell Studio 1558 in a dumpster, complete with a charging cord. The computer works great, but it's windows home premium system is out of date and flawed. A restore CD costs 20 bucks USD. My question is this: Is this computer worth more to me sold on Ebay for $110-$170 USD, or scrapped? Also, I am building a computer that matches my system specifications, and am in search of parts. Would this laptop have any parts that would be good to use in my computer? Also, would the computer sell for that much on Ebay at all?

As for the parts: NO. Just the fact that the memory will not fit -- it's laptop memory; not desktop memory -- and the cpu is an Intel and you are going to build an AMD system.

So would it be a good idea to keep or sell the computer? If I sell it, is it worth more scrapped or not?

There is a reason it was scraped. True, some people with throw out reasonably good laptops, desktops, etc., because they want something new. However, I would do a full diagnostics on it to see if there are any issues, I.e. memtest, hard drive diagnostics, virus and malware scan, to name a few. If it is in good shape install one of the Linux versions that are easy to use.

As for selling I have no advice because I don't sell old parts. I doubt you would get that much for it.

Back