what do i need to build a SLI system

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would need

1. a motherboard especially designed for SLI (with dual, linkable PCI-e slots)
2. two SLI capable graphics cards, preferably with the same GPU
3. A power supply that is up to the task of powering everything. Typically you'd be looking in the 500w + range, with around 30a on the 12v rails.

There are cheap ones and there are expensive ones.

But really, SLI should only be considered if you are wanting EXTREME graphics at high resolutions. My personal opinion (shared be many enthusiasts) is that SLI is not worth the investment.

If you are wanting to put together a new system, I'd recommend starting a new thread, giving us your budget as well as what you want to use the computer for and we'll put together a nice system for you.

powerslave_5th said:
ok, and those motherboard's especially designed for SLI? are they too expensive? $$

Mainly, you need at least 2 PCI-Express X16 slots to run 2 video cards in SLI (Scalable Link Interface). Those motherboards that are capable of running SLI range from as little as $75 to $200+. It all depends on the Chipset and brand name of the motherboard, not to mention the amount of expansion slots (just in case you want to slip in a physics card as well).

EDIT:

I completely agree DonNagual, most people would not need this technology unless you are a hard-core gamer who want high framerates with every game. Remember that the eye can't tell the difference between 60 and 300FPS (eye can't see past 60FPS), so it's not worth it always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back