What do you think ruined my HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madcatmk2123

Hi, over this week we've been getting lots of random BSOD with literally unknown hardware errors, disk boot failures and the such. A week before, I had to reinstall XP because the boot volume had been destroyed and was unable to be fixed by check disk. During this volume problem, I noticed the HD kept disappearing from the BIOS boot up sequence, so I opened the case and noticed the power plug was very slightly loose on one side of a male-to-female connector.

I twist tied it down, and reinstalled to get to were I am now. This SATA HD is about 1 month old, and when I went to run the WD smart disk test yesterday, the disk fails within 10 secs and I get lots of ATAPI and Disk errors in event viewer. Do you think I got a bad HD or the plug had something to do with it? Possibly the MB also as I keep getting a "No Secondary master 80 pin connector" in the BIOS boot up, even though it is connected to the DVD drive and fully works in Windows? Thanks for any help. Trying to sort this now before I get my replacement from WD.

Try a different cable, and rerun the drive diagnostic tests. If you still get the same results, your drive is faulty and needs to be returned.

Regards Howard :)

What brand of PC you have there?
Also if WD failed the smart test, then contact WD and tell them the drive is faulty since you ran test already. What they would do is send you another HDD for replacement but you got to sent the on you have back to them and they'll test it out to make sure.

My Pc is a home built one. I've run the test about 4 times playing with the cables and restarting with the same results. I'm going to be doing the RMA tonight after I turn this off to look at the serial number. Just trying to gather your thoughts on the culprit so the new one doesnt crap out if it was caused by my comp.

I don`t know what`s caused the drive failure, but it happens all to frequently. Mechanical devices will always fail eventually. Just because a drive is fairly new, is no guarantee it won`t fail, it may have been faulty from new.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back