TechSpot

What does the U mean in 3200U

By Cliaz
Nov 22, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What does the U mean in 3200U RAM

might be a stupid question, but i've asked all my workmates (IT department), ive searched online, cant find anything

what does the U mean in 3200U, or 2700U or whatever.

was thinking unregistered or unbuffered, and i think i recall seeing a 2700R somewhere around.....may be mistaken

Cliaz

edit - whoops its in regard to RAM modules :eek:

ie a 512 mb of 266hz 3200U or something

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

What is this in reference to?

BTW
    :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

3. The u in 3200.........

As far as i am aware, the U stands for Unbuffered, and the R stands for Registered. They have given them different names as they should not be fitted together, as they are not compatible with each other.

Hope this helps. :wave:

Rick.

4. Cliaz

Cliaz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Cool, thats kinda what i thought but i wasnt sure.
    So basically, because the standard is unbuffered (isnt it?), a 3200U module will still be compatible with a 3200......theyve just given some extra info

also, looks like a great forum, glad i found it

5. superden

superden TS Rookie

Hi,
    Having kinda same problem...
    Wanted to upgrade my RAM to 1GB and purchased another 512mb. But somehow it doesn't work with absolutely same parameters.

I had Samsung 512mb PC3200U 400Mhz DDR 30031-Z,
    the one I bought Samsung 512mb PC3200 400Mhz DDR 2.5V Non-Parity Non-ECC 184-pin.

The only difference is f$#^&ing letter "U", which means Unbuffered (Thanks to AmDuSeR) now I know!
    My question is will I be able make it work somehow in my comp?
    Comp starts with only 3200U installed in either slot (I have 2), and won't if there 3200 "not U" or either both of them.
    I couldn't find any usefull information about Buffered/Unbuffered DDR and their compatibility myself.
    Any help will be appreciated!

6. superden

superden TS Rookie

Well, I see one more diference now. My old one 3.0V (30031) and new one 2.5
    Damn... I thought I know something! Couldn't imagine it's so complicated! How come it did fit perfectly in the same slot? It must be different! WIERD!!!

7. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.