What fan to get?

By Nick_M
Aug 16, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi

Just put a new Prescott 3.2 CPU in my machine, I'am using the fan that came with it and at idle its about 52C. The fans in my system are also seemingly working a lot harder now the new CPU is in.

Can anyone give some reccomendations for a new Heatsink/fan for the CPU, I have an Abit A17 mobo and space in tight in there so nothing much bigger than the standard Intel fan.

Thanks.
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

i have a prescott sitting in a socket-478, and my thermaltake spark7 xaser keeps it nice and cool. i made a simple electrical mod so i can switch between a self-controlled fan using a temp sensor or the manual knob, which can bring the fan to 6200rpm
  3. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

I have never had a prescott, but that seems way too high for idle speeds. When you put the heatsink on, did you smear off the thermal tape or something? A simple re-seat of the CPU with some good thermal paste may solve your problem. That's the first thing I'd try.

Also keep in mind, using a 3rd party heatsink voids your warranty.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.