What graphics card to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milne

hi

This is only my second thread, but i am wondering what is the most suitable graphics card to get for my pc.

Its a ASrock K8Upgrade-VM800 (i think)
its a pentium 4 3.4ghz
2gb RAM

how much money do you think i should spend on a graphics card and which one should i get? Please try not to be too complicated on your posts, i dont know that much about computers.

It really depends on what it is you are looking to do with your computer after the upgrade. Can we assume you are wanting to be able to play the latest games with decent frames/second?

If so, your motherboard is sitting there waiting for you to stick an AGP8x type graphics card. If you are on a tight budget, you should be looking at the 6600GT cards ($100-$150). If you are wanting a powerful graphics card that can run any game out there without breaking a sweat, look at the 7800 series or the X1900XT cards, but now you are at the $300 and up price range.

Tell us some more about your budget and what kind of games you are wanting to play and we can give you some direction.

DonNagual said:
It really depends on what it is you are looking to do with your computer after the upgrade. Can we assume you are wanting to be able to play the latest games with decent frames/second?

If so, your motherboard is sitting there waiting for you to stick an AGP8x type graphics card. If you are on a tight budget, you should be looking at the 6600GT cards ($100-$150). If you are wanting a powerful graphics card that can run any game out there without breaking a sweat, look at the 7800 series or the X1900XT cards, but now you are at the $300 and up price range.

Tell us some more about your budget and what kind of games you are wanting to play and we can give you some direction.

Well i am firstly english so i need to know the english prices. The games i play on are mainly strategy games like age of empires 3, so i am not so sure if they are as demanding as other games. I would say i got up to £100, i only got a paper round to make money, lol

Milne said:
Well i am firstly english so i need to know the english prices.

Well, I am Canadian and living in Japan, yet when people respond to me in US dollars (as this is a US based site) I am able to do the conversions ;)

On my brothers computer its got a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra 256 mb, is this a good enough graphics card for my computer, and how can you tell the difference between good and bad graphics cards?

I have an ASRock, too. Your slot is AGP, so when you are getting a card look for the slot type or anything thaat says AGP.

Milne said:
On my brothers computer its got a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra 256 mb, is this a good enough graphics card for my computer, and how can you tell the difference between good and bad graphics cards?
Trust me. You want either a GeForce 6200 or a 6600 based on a tight budget. If you want something that goes the distance take a GeForce 7800 for a spin but its $300 for the ride ;). GeForce 6200 is really cheap, it only costs $100 (kicking myself for buying it at Best Buy for $50 more) or a GeForce 6600 for $150 (that's why I kick my head in shame).

NOTE: If you have an AGP slot DO NOT go for the GeForce 7800 for it is ONLY for (dual) PCI-e slots!!! Look for a card that says AGP on it. Also if you want a good videocard but there are multiple versions of the same GeForce chip. Go with the one with a fan on it rather than a heat sink (biggest change between the two). Fans are a good sign on a good videocard not to mention the picture on it for Radion.

I actually got a GeForce 6600LE 256mb DDR AGP8X with 128 bit, its got a fan on it and the graphics on my games are absaloutly brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back