What happens if I use a new processor without a BIOS upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-G33-DS3R) from abroad (London) and also bought an even newer processor Intel e6750 2.66 GHz (released after the Motherboard) to build a new system.

But just now I have seen that the motherboard website says that the processor e6750 is supported after BIOS version F4 ... my one is supposed to come with F1 version (latest is F5).

The motherboard is fsb1333 and core2duo and quad ready, yet they state this BIOS compatability issue with my fsb1333 processor.

Now I have downloaded the BIOS needed, but I can't actually get my motherboard to a local dealer or get an older 775 processor that is supported just to upgrade the BIOS. (I have read all the abc and xyz about bios upgrading) but I still have one question in my mind ....

That is, if I then install my e6750 with this motherboard and existing BIOS version (that is not documented to support the CPU), and go for the BIOS upgrade process (using qFlash) .... do I put myself in a rather risky position of damaging my motherboard from a possible freeze or hang or restart of the system during the BIOS upgrade process?

Worst still, will this pose a risk of actually damaging my processor for that matter, that my system will always malfunction or freeze or auto-restart in the remainder of its life?!?

Please do help.... I am not a novice, neither am I an expert yet, it's just that I need a quick solution as I wont be getting much extra time to do research on how to solve this. I did contact Intel and Gigabyte support for this problem, but am still not sure of what to do.

My only way to go now is to use the new processor with the motherboard and use it to upgrade the BIOS. From the fact that the existing BIOS version doesn't support the e6750, somewhere during operation (quickly or lately, I mean delayed) the system could be restarted or frozen. Either damaging my processor or motherboard (during BIOS update process).

So I need the go ahead from you guys whether I can actually use the new processor to upgrade the BIOS. How long do you think it will actually take before my system can actually freeze after power-on .... 5 minutes? 5 hours? (if it does eventually)

And do I actually have any risk of damaging either my motherboard or processor?

Is it a risk worth taking (the adventure of, and crossing the fingers) or worth going the safe way?
And "What happens if I use a new processor without a BIOS upgrade?" [ The original title of this thread :| ]

I'd appreciate help from you guys, as it would mean quite a lot to me.
Please do reply quickly.
Thank you guys.

I think it is better idea if you update you BIOS using your original CPU.

And I believe that Motherboard and CPU still have the micro-code things on it, I'm not sure yet. if your board are running on 05A/B, it has to match to 05A/B CPU, and in forth same thing with 04A/B.

If you don't update the BIOS, the PC will just refuse to boot since the BIOS won't recognize the new processor. There will be no damage as such since you won't even have a fully-functioning PC. :)

Rage_3K_Moiz is right, it wont damage you Processor... but you wont do anithing either, since the BIOS wont know about you Processor...

But you can contact you mobo dealer o factory through their webpage and ask for a BIOS chip, and replace it.

Another thing, find a friend that has a Procesor that can work with your mobo and make the upgrade.

And finally... you can update you BIOS chip with someone else mobo that uses the same BIOS... just swap the chips and that will do it....

Hope tis ideas helped you...

Thank you very much Bushwalker, Rage_3K_Moiz, gcc_computo ...

My previous cpu is P2 so as you can see, I am in a bit of a leap :|

I guess the best option for me now is to find a friend then, but I wonder if they'll actually lend me their cpu ...
But even if I did find a relatively old enough 775 cpu ... I wonder if it will work .... strange as it is the Gigabyte website mentioned that they support all core2duo or P4 after the second version of their BIOS .... does that mean my motherboard doesn't support any cpu at all from the start!! :eek: ..... http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2535

Bushwalker, by the way, what is the microcode anyway, I haven't been able to research on this one ... what happens if they don't match?

I don't know how this happened ... but as you said Raze and gcc, the computer didn't run initially when I plugged in the power ... but somehow mysteriously, when I switched the cpu fan from 4pin to 3pin connector on the motherboard, the whole thing started and the cpu didn't freeze ... I chanced my self up and updated the BIOS right away without having a UPS and having a chance of a black out ... I didn't realize I was doing the risk already ... but after updating my BIOS it was working fine even after I put back the cpu fan back to the 4 pin connector ...

MAN I am just happy that I am over this ... thanks for all the help ... whether I solved this mysteriously or however I am just happy it's done ....

But I just can't figure this out , why would the processor work just because I pinned the CPU to an always on socket? How did it allow me to update the BIOS?? Strange ... and don't think I am kind of kidding ... it's true to the entirety.

Anyway guys ... I hope I'll be on the game's pedal now ... hope to see you soon guys ... have fun.

Cheers!!

many processors have thermal protection circuits and if the cpu fan is not correctly hooked up, the computer will not boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back