What Hard drive to i need to replace SONY VAIO PCG-Z505VA

What Hard drive to I need to replace old one in SONY VAIO PCG-Z505VA ??
What model (western digital? ... Seagate etc. ) Thank you very much :
Milton C

There's a laptop like this on eBay for a high price claiming that it is a rare model. I'd be happy that it has lasted so well and opt to buy a new laptop as replacement. You will be blown away by the difference in performance. There are some great offers available.

There's a laptop like this on eBay for a high price claiming that it is a rare model....[ ].....
There are also a lot of thieves on Ebay, would would like to claim any vintage laptop is "rare", so they can sell it for some wildly inflated price.

What Hard drive to I need to replace old one in SONY VAIO PCG-Z505VA ??
What model (western digital? ... Seagate etc. ) Thank you very much :
Milton C
OK, the "PnP" spec (plug and play), for most all laptops over the years is a standard 2 1/2" drive.

This search page from "Newegg", illustrates the range of drives available for mobile use: http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Internal-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380?Tpk=laptop hard drives

You DO NOT have to be concerned with brand. All you need to be concerned with is, the speed, (RPMs, 5400 or 7200), and the capacity, (250GB, 500GB , 1TB, etc,), and obviously the price. You could also perhaps use one of the new SSD's (solid state drives), but it's very doubtful if the buss speed of your machine would allow you to take full advantage of the high performance of this type drive.

So, pop the back off of your laptop, and verify whether or not I'm correct about the drive size, then try to catch a sale on a brand new drive, plug it in, and you're good to go.

FWIW, decent "on sale" laptop HDDs are usually priced somewhere in the area of $50.00 US.

Just make sure you still have the original "restore discs" or Windows disc, to get the machine back up and running after you replace the drive.

Last edited:
You can just clone the contents of your drive to the new one before you even install it using the software that comes with the drive, just make sure you get that with the drive or a place to download it for free from the manufacturer.

You can just clone the contents of your drive to the new one before you even install it using the software that comes with the drive, just make sure you get that with the drive or a place to download it for free from the manufacturer.
This of course assumes, the HDD in the laptop now, is working. :D

But yeah, if it is, that's the way to do it.

There are also a lot of thieves on Ebay, would would like to claim any vintage laptop is "rare", so they can sell it for some wildly inflated price.

OK, the "PnP" spec (plug and play), for most all laptops over the years is a standard 2 1/2" drive.

This search page from "Newegg", illustrates the range of drives available for mobile use: http://www.newegg.com/Laptop-Internal-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380?Tpk=laptop hard drives

You DO NOT have to be concerned with brand. All you need to be concerned with is, the speed, (RPMs, 5400 or 7200), and the capacity, (250GB, 500GB , 1TB, etc,), and obviously the price. You could also perhaps use one of the new SSD's (solid state drives), but it's very doubtful if the buss speed of your machine would allow you to take full advantage of the high performance of this type drive.

So, pop the back off of your laptop, and verify whether or not I'm correct about the drive size, then try to catch a sale on a brand new drive, plug it in, and you're good to go.

FWIW, decent "on sale" laptop HDDs are usually priced somewhere in the area of $50.00 US.

Just make sure you still have the original "restore discs" or Windows disc, to get the machine back up and running after you replace the drive.

Thank you very much for your kind reply. Most appreciated. MCF (Manila)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back