What Has Been Your Worst Computer Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darel001

I just wanted to see how people have struggled with computers don't matter if its minimal or off the roof smokin...so here is mine to start off.

I was building a computer for my uncle, and then when I ran everything the thing wouldnt turn on, i took the case to Frys, and apparently there was a loose connection , i had noticed it but it was deep , and i didnt think it was loose(since i could barely see it. The kid at frys had to use a very long screw driver to jamm it in right.

Than the thing would restart randomly. AFTER TRYING EVERYTHIIING, for about a month or moreincluding exchanging parts , trying diff case PSU and cpu, I figured it must be a mobo and ram incompatibility. I looked up if people had similar problems , and they did . It was a really crappy ECS P4M800 pro v2 mobo. WORST EVER!!!! So i got a new Gygabyte mobo, couldnt be better. It worked , but than i had to do some hardware work and when i had to turn it on again, I smeled something burning. After a few minutes of sniffing it turned out to be the HD, so i replaced that. Worst ever. lol so how bout u guys?:monkey:

Hi

I work with PC's in my Job, you try lugging a P4 Dell tower 800 yards in the piss**g down rain, then up 3 flights of steps only to plug it in and find it doesnt work, makes you want to take up american football.......

But as for home PC faults, I did have a PC that ran sweet as a nut for a long time then started the old freezing intermittent thing, well after a lot of reloads and tests I figured the Mobo was shafted, not wanting to reinstall Windows I searched Ebay for an identical one, missed it, found another, won it, then when I swapped the bits over I overdid it a bit with the thermal paste and cracked the CPU core.... the board went in the Bin along with all the bits...

Finally I bought a laptop, cant do nothing with it so no danger of messing something up....

Regards

Brand new top-of-line most expensive fully equipped G-5 MacIntosh for movie production. Got in a hurry to connect to another MacIntosh. Pulled the plug without turning off computer. I could see a spark leap from end of cable to back of case, or from back of case to cable. Machine went dead. System board and all other components were electrocuted... nothing ever worked again. Apple would not repair under warranty, due to cable not official MacIntosh brand. Cost me nearly $5000 to replace.

Temporarily buying an AsRock Mobo ^^
- Intel Socket 775 CPU-Cooler system is a joke for bigger coolers and it didn't have anything extra to attach the cooler better to the MoBo
- Removing previous drivers didn't work, had to reinstall everything... didn't even recognize a System-Partition for repair (slightly normal)
- MoBo causing troubles with my PCI Promise-Controller and it not recognizing HDD's
- Blue-Screen Problem every time I tried to use a 3D-Application in XP or Vista... some kind of incompatibility with the display-drivers... after troubleshooting for 4 days or so getting it to work with some VIA-Compatibility option over RivaTuner
- MoBo going dead on me after a certain time... sending it in and getting a new one after quite some time
- Instant crashes once or twice a week
- Being incompatible with new DVD-Burner that didn't want to read any disks it burned, after 2 days troubleshooting getting another brand
- MoBo IDE-Controller making 2 partitions unreadable... luckily being able to back it up and even restore with CheckDisk
- Small incoveniences like NTLDR missing because it can't find the system-disk after it was disconnected once and having to set it in BIOS or not recognizing a DVD-drive over an extra controller even if other Boards already did b4
- Other **** that it caused and I can't remember or I caused myself while trying to fix another problem like getting a Rootkit or damaging pins because I had to stick cables in and out

Seriously don't buy an ASRock MoBo... EVER even if it is the last brand on earth... stay with what you have or if you need both AGP/PCI and DDR/DDR2 for an update better wait alltogether and get the complete new system.

raybay said:
Brand new top-of-line most expensive fully equipped G-5 MacIntosh for movie production. Got in a hurry to connect to another MacIntosh. Pulled the plug without turning off computer. I could see a spark leap from end of cable to back of case, or from back of case to cable. Machine went dead. System board and all other components were electrocuted... nothing ever worked again. Apple would not repair under warranty, due to cable not official MacIntosh brand. Cost me nearly $5000 to replace.
That was an easy excuse for apple!! that suks, that they wouldnt repair cause of a non "apple" cable. I guess now on i wont try to do that either.

Well if it's your fault or it COULD be your fault never tell them exactly what happened, only what might help them to localize the problem and fix it, for example if you fried your CPU or GPU while OCing it's pretty sure that they won't fix it if you tell them what you did^^ If he would have told them that the computer has stopped working all of a sudden they would've most likely replaced the thing.

My worse experience was when I was building my own system and accidently completly broke off a capacitator on my motherboard.

worst would be... loosing my 200GB Seagate HDD full of family memories - the same day i just bought Norton Ghost 10.....

2nd worst: loosing my i-Lok USB key for Pro-tools (chance its buried in my room somewhere, or its $50 to replace..)

notable mentionings..
-Teaching my dad how to use Yahoo mail and OpenOffice (from previously using MS office)
-Telling my sister there is NOTHING WRONG with her Toshiba laptop; running WinME (yeh.. i keep telling that myself too...)
-routine dust cleaning (and fan upgrades) of my rig, only to find after i put everything back together nicely and booting up that the RAM wasn't on properly, which meant i had to pull things apart again (stupid ASROCK mobo), then after trying to boot up again, the vid card needed a slight push more into the slot..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back