What if I added another 512 2100 DDR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vilex

I have 512 megs of 2100 DDR ram and I was wondering if adding another 512 meg chip of the same kind would increase performance enough to warrant spending 70-80 dollars.

Well your loading times would probably increase, and you'd be able to gloat and brag about having 1GB...so in my opinion, order it, slap that baby in, and go on with life...

You're probably going to get a bunch of other replies saying its not worth it unless you use memory intensive programs....Or they'll tell you to use the search feature(I hate when they reply like that).

I personally say its worth it, loading times will be improved alot, especially if you use some of the registry tweaks available...

If you are using Windows 9x forget about it. Otherwise go for it, especially if you are using image editing, audio/video editing or other memory intensive apps. You will also be able to take advantage of a few registry tweaks related to memory, one being to disable kernel paging, this will be a big difference in overall performance.

For more info on the registry tweaks, either search the forums, or check the Registry link in my signature.

Right now I have 512MBs, and I personally wouldnt upgrade to 1GB just because I can have photoshop open, 5 browsers, Python and Battlefield1942 (<--Most intensive memory app I have used today) and I will still have about 60MBs of RAM free. BattleField1942 uses the better part of 250MBs. So that still leaves PS, WinXP, Internet Explorer, and anything else 256MBs of RAM which is ample. It doesnt work out so well when you hvae 256MBs RAM total beacause then theres no room for games like Battlefield1942 or UT2003.

for only 79-80$ its definately worth it, unless you have a Win9x system like Stormbringer mentioned. The registry hacks you can do after you have a 1g of Ram with be very noticeable. Definately go with the upgrade.

I upgraded to 1gb pc2100 ram for about 70 bucks and it was well worth it. Go for it, unless u dont have a job and can't pay for extra stuff...
I noticed a performance increase right off the bat.

$80 will buy me a 2500+ ;) Should probably do that since my mobo supports 333MHz FSB anyways.. if i only wasnt 2 grand in the hole (gotta pay off my dirt bike) :(

Well I decided I would rather put down 50 bucks for Star Wars : KOTOR since it doesn't seem like the RAM would really be worth it right now. I'm not really into video editing and everything loads very fast already on this athlon 2400+ so maybe I'll grab it a little later. Thank you once again for all the replies :)

Everyone

Since we are in the subject of memory I have kinda unique question for you guys.... I have a Abit NF7-S (rev 2.0) 2500+ barton overclocked to 3200+ @ 400 mhz fsb. Now my question is this. I have 3 512 meg chips of PC 2700 (333 mhz) = 1.5 gig of total memory. I like to keep my memory clock running at the same clock as my FSB so I overclocked the memory to run at (400 mhz) but when I do this I get random restarts in windows. When I have them running @ their stock speed of 333 mhz there isnt a problem with restarts or anything.

Now when I have just 2 512 dimms in my board running at 400 mhz there isnt a problem either, its just when I try to overclock with that third chip. I am assuming it isnt the memory itself cause I switched all the dimms around and same problem persists when I overclock the 3 but runs fine with just 2. So I am assuming it must be somthing with Dual Channal messing up cause of the 3rd dimm.

Well basically my question is this...1 gig of memory @ 400 mhz....? or 1.5 gig @ 333 mhz....? And just so you know They are all the same manufacture dimm IDENTICAL.....Do I need 1.5 gig ? Probably not, but Id rather not just have it laying around ya know... Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Well you cant have dual channel with 3 sticks of ram. Not to sure why it would behave such way though.

Well

When I have the 3 sticks of memory in it posts that Dual Channal is enabled so it must be working unless its lieing to me, and no its not getting too hot, my board temp is 28 c and I basically have a 72 cfm fan blowing right now the dimms to heat isnt an issue....they are luke warm if that when I touch them....But I am most possitive it has somthing to do with dual channal but not 100%

Maybe its got 2 sticks in dual channel and the third not :confused: I've never heard of that though. Then maybe the third stick is messing Dual Channel up so that would explain the random reboots.

hey i have a similar question. i have a 512 pc-3200 stick and am in the market to buy another 512 to upgrade to 1GB. i was wondering if you should buy the same stick or does it matter to mix brands. ofr example i have a kingsmax, so should i get another kingsmax or try to find another one for a better deal that is another brand like samsung or something. because i have heard that it is better if you have 2 sticks to make sure they are the same equality. does anyone know if this is true or can i go ahead and get another brand thats cheaper or even better.

BloodRaven said:
hey i have a similar question. i have a 512 pc-3200 stick and am in the market to buy another 512 to upgrade to 1GB. i was wondering if you should buy the same stick or does it matter to mix brands. ofr example i have a kingsmax, so should i get another kingsmax or try to find another one for a better deal that is another brand like samsung or something. because i have heard that it is better if you have 2 sticks to make sure they are the same equality. does anyone know if this is true or can i go ahead and get another brand thats cheaper or even better.
On duel channel it is wise to stay with the same brand.

BloodRaven said:
do you have to have a certain kinda of memory to dual channel or can you just do it on any stick you have 2 of?
Most new mother boards have
Double Data Rate which is ram that can access memory twice as quickly as your common regular SDRAM. Double channel memory is DDR memory so this is what you look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back