• 98-01 acura integra

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • 97-01 honda prelude

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • other, please specify

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

somekid007

now that im goin to be 16 in less than a year, i want to know what the best modder's car is. im planning this far ahead because i want to kno how much i need so i know how much to savve up and how many hours i would need to find part time work for it. i want a car with a good motor that will yield good numbers with minimal engine mods as i want to focus on exterior such as body kits, rims and carbon fibre. i am interested in the following cars and if yoiu dont mind, a brief description of what to do in modding the car. i will likely on an extremely tight budget of prbably $7-10k in mods, providing mom and dad will give me some help over the years. i plan to be done by college time, give or take a year. this gives me a little over 2 years work with...

EDIT: i dont want of those retarded lambo door conversions and as much as i expect you to recommend a supra or skyline, you and i both know it is out of my reach

I think the Acura Integra is quite good for you.

It's cheap and you'll find plenty of them in the used market at a very tight price. Also it will be your first car so too much power is not good for you, you need driving experience.

Other good modders are civics. As for the integra's, there is a big market of parts for them, so price are bound to be lower.

You said you wanted to use 7-10k in mods, but you didn't tell how much you want to spend in the car itself ;)

with 10k youll find pretty good civic's and integra's already modded.

i will like spend the same price on the car as well, i will not get a civic i cant stand them and there are so many of them here in vancouver. i like the integra they are common, but no to the extent of the civic. the only donwside is that its a front drive, but your right its my first car and i shouldnt be racing them anyways :)

preludes are bit pricey and im not a fan of the square lights. i searched integras on ebays and a few nicely modded ones were goin for around $12000USD, a good price but factoring in dutys and shipping, it also seems pricey. i hope ebaymotors catches on in canada soon

I have a tricked out Integra... I modded it alot. You can get a pretty good one for a lowe price.

Hondas (Acuras also, in case ya didn't know) are very dependable cars. The prelude is to heavy to "race". Go for the integra.

Mitsubishi eclipses (the ones you say) still use carbuerators instead of fuel injection.... its like get with the program... and plus, mitsubishis are very unreliable cars, alot of my friends bought brand new ones, they were having so many problems within the first month.

The second choice, behind the integra, I would get a civic. Civics are also good cars too... just that there's soo many civics... its so annoying really... as well as the new mustangs... I can't go anywhere without seeing a new mustang. If I had a shotgun with 900 shells, to shoot each new mustang I see, I'd need more in 5 minutes.

If you have any more questions, ask me, I'm super good in automotive, I race engines that I build, as well as my car and my 47MPH Go-Ped (motorized scooter).

i don't like the eclipses either. the engine is kinda weak IMO. my friend's lancer evolution is a sweet car though. :D but that is too expensive.

of those cars, i'd get an integra. it's a FF vehicle, but it handle pretty decently; not as good as an MR or FR, but what do you expect. my bro's old 91 MR2 Turbo is pretty good handling car. it's a 2-seater MR engine car (hence MR2). they look sweet with a body kit, nice rims, and a kickass spoiler. he did some mods to the engine and got a new turbo so it is pretty darn fast. don't confuse the MR2 with the newer MR2 spyder. the older MR2 engine is more powerful where as the newer MR2's engine is more like a miata.

i am not a huge fan of the current mustangs. however, the mustang prototype is another story. it looks pretty dam cool. 400hp. whoa. hopefully it does not take a nose-dive when it becomes a production model.

i considered the ecplise because the gsx model had a 200hp tubo and awd. anyways, for the integra if i were to put the following mods:

jackson racing supercharger/greddy turbo
iceman cold air intake
skunk racing intake manifold
act stage 3 clutch
apexi engine management system
flowmaster exhaust
ngk sparks/ ignition wires
tokico coil overs
koni shocks
17" enkei rims/pirelli tires
intercooler (if using turbo)
wings west body kit
carbon fibre hood
short shifter
carbon fibre pedals/steering wheels
brembo brakes
type R spoiler
bride racing seats

i know this will send prices through the roof, but which mods are best for my budget? i rather have exterior mods over interior and engine mods. also, the 240sx(silvia in japan) has a good rep of being a "drift" car, any ideas?

i rented the italian job over the weekend. its a good movie and you should watch it. after that movie i just fell in love with the new mini! im thinking of just scrapping the whole mod thing and buy a mini cooper...... thanks for the help guys!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :eek: :eek:

Dont get the eclipse... come on man....

A mini cooper... so much for a slick ride... well maybe in europe but what do you expect to mod? Get a hatchback instead of a cooper.

Go for the integra, the B series engine is highly moddable, i know this by facts and personal experiences. It's very inexpensive.

Hehe... "17" enkei rims/pirelli tires" that's the same kind of setup that I have on my car (integ)... tite...
and by short shifter, get a shorter throw one... don't confuse yourself.

Well good luck...

Also, you can find tons of help at http://honda-acura.net, I'm also a frequent visitor to there.

I also visit http://www.team-integra.net, they have alot of mods and instruction guides for doing your own projects and stuff for the integra... except they aren't that friendly in the forums because you can't get anyone's oppinion but a "SEARCH" and then be flamed and bashed. It's rediculous, even for something that is totally different.

Consider adding the MR2 to your choices. Rear wheel drive, mid engine= excellent handling and no torque steer. And they look cool right out of the box. My buddy has one he's dropped about 8 grand in body kits and paint and it draws stares like nothing else- they are baby ferrari's. There is a huge fanboy network for parts and mods as well.

You seem to be looking for something a little unique and the MR2 would definitely fit the bill in this regard- and it will draw the girls like bees to money, uh...I mean honey.

Hey i'm with vassil, preludes are sweet! :D

But the Golf Mark 3 is a pretty sweet car with a pretty sweet engine.........if you can afford it

as intriguing as the mr2 is, there are two issues about this car.

1. it seats only 2. if i wanted a car to attract girls, i think i would want to give ride to more than 1 at a time <g>
2. im not a fan of pop up lights. yes i know you are gonna say that the present generation doesnt have them, but they are now sold in canada, to bring one from the states is like throwing money away, with the duties and everything.

i am now probably going to "light mod" the drive train, ie intake, muffler, hotwire, etc. small things. i realised canada isnt the place to drive 500hp "rice rockets". i rally want to know who makes nice body kits. i heard of wings west, razzi and stillen. anyone else?

golf mark 3? you mean the GTi with the VR6 in it? golfs are considered a "chick car" in Canada. the last thing i want to do is be seen driving a modded "chick car". any insight on th SiR?? and wuts the difference between regular, type S and type R??

Originally posted by somekid007
wuts the difference in teh type R?? who makes good body kits for integra?

Well, there are a few versions of the Integra that you want to be interested in:

Generation 3 Integra (RS, LS, GS, SE, GSR, TYPE R)

Pure Stock Horsepower:
RS, LS, GS, SE: 118hp @6400RPM
GSR: 176hp @7600RPM (DOHC VTEC)
TYPE R: 197hp @8000RPM (DOHC VTEC)

Type R is obviously faster stock then the rest of them. But, there is an disadvantage to having a type r, the compression ratio is too high (11.1:1), you are limited to non-turbo type r. You would have to do tons of work on internals if you really really wanted to turbo your type R, but if you're planning on going turbo, you'd want a GSR. If all you'd do is just strap on a turbo kit, you risk detonation.

Wings West makes some nice body kits. Go on ebay and look up integra body kits, you'll find some.

Ludes are too heavy man... you can't race with em... if that's what you wanted.

Well it is your choice and final decision on what car to buy, you're asking for advice, so I'll give it to you, Integra GSR. 94-01.

Originally posted by XtR-X

TYPE R: 197hp @8000RPM (DOHC VTEC)

If all you'd do is just strap on a turbo kit, you risk detonation.

doesnt one of the integras have 225hp? or are you talking about at the wheels. what do you mean exactly by "detonation"

By detonation are meaning blowing the engine apart? Cause everytime a cylinder fires, the gasoline is detonated.....

Remember it's he's first car... a integra with turbo and 200hp+ will probably detonate him to an accident... don't even talk 'bout racing. And xtr is true, Prelude's are heavy, not only for racing, but the handling is not as good as an integra with a good set of rims/tires

Just be careful with everything, sometimes those cars with all that horsepower will draw quite a bit of attention by the police. High profile.

dont wory, ill be extra careful with my first ride ;-)

yes, i guess a turbo or supercharger should'nt be an option until later down the road. looks like body kits are around $1000. so that leaves quite a few bucks to spend of toys :)

is there any viable alternative to an integra? say.... an eclipse? lol j/k how bout a celica or imprezza?

"Detonation" basically means that the temperature inside the cylinders are so hot that they are igniting the gas before the spark plugs do. This is not a good thing! Using high octane gas with octane boosters, wrong gap on a spark plug can cause this.

Over time it could possibly knock a cylinder through your block or something.

And XTR-X, how would merly "strapping on a turbo kit cause this?"

that's 2 votes for the MR2! the old one that is- the V6 produced 200 horses (shite load for that tiny car) but you can do more with the 4 banger turbo- an intake and exhaust will get you close to 200 ponies and then you can save your ducats and get a turbo kit- they have a kit that makes the stock engine 450 horses.

Originally posted by Godataloss
that's 2 votes for the MR2! the old one that is- the V6 produced 200 horses (shite load for that tiny car) but you can do more with the 4 banger turbo- an intake and exhaust will get you close to 200 ponies and then you can save your ducats and get a turbo kit- they have a kit that makes the stock engine 450 horses.

whoa whoa whoa dont go nuts!! 450hp? incase you ahvent noticed, i live in canada, more importantly, vancouver, the "NO FUN" city. i get cuaght street racing i cant drive indefinetly. it might sound intriguing, but im a responsible kind of person <g>

i saw some kits for the mr2 and it looks alot nicer, its just so rare here that owners can ask insane prices and get away with it. i also like teh jdm conversions for the integra. they look nice too

thanks for all this help guys, i never knew i would find it in a geek forum :)

Back