be mostly functional.

However, in device manager I show ATI WDM Rage Theater Video as not
functioning.
The only info I can get on the problem is the error message that device
manager is giving me:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I believe I have the latest driver (6.14) and there were no problems with
Catalyst installation.

Halflife 2 functions fine, as do a few other high-end games.

Anyone have any clue what's up?

New problem.

I've recently had my monitor completely blank out and go into power-save
mode.

It happens randomly, and usually when the comp is unattended/monitor
is turned off... although it did do it twice when watching a full-screen
video.

I've got all power management disabled and the monitor works fairly good.

At first when it started doing it ATI did the whole VPU recover thing but now
it seems unwilling to reset my poor monitor, forcing me to do a cold reboot.

Any ideas?

Same issue

I seem to have the same thing going on.... Have you heard anything? I am beginning to think the card is bad. my rage theater video NSP has a conflict - I also have a ATI tuner card..thinking that is part of that issue - not sure if the lockups are related to the "conflict" or not....

when yu downloaded the 6.1 driver did you download the unified single package ( hi speed download) or did you download components seperately? if it was seperate did you download the WDM driver and install it?

I didn't download any driver - just installed, and loaded from CD included - had onboard INtel graphics - so had to find out how to disable.... tried to install newer catalyst drivers, but had big issues - removed - and been living withconstant hangs for a month....

>.<

I have the Radeon X700 Mobility on my laptop and ive been having this annoying issue. I can't play most of my videos on Winamp or even WMP, and the games i play are also affected by this, yet they look amazing graphics wise. VLC however plays most videos, but the main issue is that its "choppy". Not choppy in a sense like bad quality per say, but more like every few seconds it "buffers" which eventually makes video and sound get off sync. I have downloaded the latest drivers in a package from the ATI website but when i try installing it i get 2 errors:

1: "INF error Video driver not found."
then right after i get...
2: "Set up was unable to complete installation. Try to set up your display adapter with a Standard VGA Driver before running setup."

Ive tried to do the Standard VGA driver but i cant find it, all i see is the ATI card listed in the properties when i look in Device manager.

Anyone got any idea of whats going?

I have instaled the 6.1 Catalyst - didn't help. I have a TV tuner also - ATI Theater 550 Pro - installed new drivers for that. I am wondering if there is some issue with the 2 cards together,. I haven't tried to remove my Tuner card - and see if that fixes the other - but Don't know why they would be incompatable....

Hate to see you all have problems, but it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

Come on TechSpot.. there are some real geniuses out there. I'm sure one of you
can help us out!

By the way, I installed the complete Catalyst package. Not just the drivers.

Anyone else have the Connect3D x700? If so do you have this problem?

ATI Rage Theatre Video is basically the Rage Theatre chip, which is now integrated into most all ATI 3D chips. It's responsible for video encoding/decoding, tv in/out (if your card has one or both), and Rage Theatre modes (which allows dual-screen overlay streams with low CPU utilization, etc.etc.).

Jonestech-
Your specific problem is indeed related to your TP550 pro based secondary card. You'd want to the use the Rage Theatre 550 chip versus the on-board on the X700 (which is a Rage TP200 series compatible).

Skarex-
Your specific problem is indeed due to lack of or poorly supported TP200 chipset drivers for your mobility. I'd recommend doing a "Clean" ATI install (do a search here as I've detailed many times how to do a "clean" ATI install with Driver Cleaner Pro and Add/Remove programs).. and obtaining two things:
1) The Catalyst 5.11 drivers with control panel from www.ati.com
2) The Mobility Modder, which you can get at: http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

With the Mobility Modder, you can convert most any ATI Catalyst driver set to work on Mobility chipsets/laptops. It modifies the INF's for you and allows for a more seamless install.

Beclour-
Your posts suggest a multitude of problems. The bad/missing Device Manager entry for the Rage Theatre may be a symptom of bigger problems rather than the actual source/cause. Past VPU errors, power saving mode on top of the device manager unable to start devices.. a multitude of things could be causing this.

I'd suggest posting your full system specs. Obtain/google Everest and have a look here in the forums for info on how to obtain/run/post info found here. If you have difficulties with this, you can also use DxDiag and save to a file/attach here.. as well as go to the last tab of DxDiag and hit the MSInfo button and export to a file/attach here also. With these files or other forms of detailed system info could we go down the steps needed to get things (hopefully) running or at least isolated to help you.

Cheers

sharkfood

Shark foods got it but i would add one thing.
Download driver cleaner.
This will help you remove all unwanted files.
Best bet is to run the uninstaller for the drivers then boot into safe mode.
Once in safe mode run driver cleaner for your particular card.
I would run all ati driver removal inside of driver cleaner.

Here's my dxdiag report.

I recently upgraded to the latest catalyst driver, no improvement at all.
Before doing so I used the ATI uninstaller program. So it should have been
a pretty clean install.

If anything else is needed, let me know. I'm just seriously concerned that
I might have built a lemon.

Hello again Beclour,
From your DxDiag output, it looks as though you have a true-blue Intel brand mainboard. The first step should be to hit Intel's website and obtain/flash the latest BIOS.

With the latest BIOS, you'll need to ensure any integrated or on-board video your mainboard may have is disabled there. You should also look for any "Plug N Play OS:" setting and set this to "YES" (unless you dual-boot Win95/98 or have any old, non-PnP PCI cards in use).

Once this is completed, ensure you have Microsoft .NET 1.1 (and hotfix/service packs) or 2.0 Framework installed, if you do not already have this. You can get either in Windows Update, or you can get the 2.0 full install at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...cb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

I would also inspect your power supply. That system should have a 280-300W MINIMUM power supply for the hardware you are using. You can find the PSU wattage as it's normally on a sticker on the side of the physical power supply.

If the PSU is okay, and with the latest BIOS and .NET installed, the following steps should then be attempted:
1) Hit www.ati.com and download the 6.1 Catalyst drivers for XP Pro/Home. Do not install this (yet) but keep it handy on the desktop
2) Get the latest Intel chipset driver set at:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...All&OSFullName=All Operating Systems&lang=eng
Do not install this yet either, but keep handy on your desktop.
3) Hit www.drivercleaner.net and download, install, but DO NOT RUN (yet) Driver Cleaner Pro

Now the steps for the clean install:
** Make sure any Anti-Virus, Worm/Trojan protection or similar are disabled or uninstalled for these steps **
1) Hit Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Remove ATI software in this order, but do NOT reboot until the very last one (click "No" to any Restart the computer prompts). Note- you may not have all of these installed so just skip any you do not find there. They will all be near the top and together as they will all start with "ATI"
- ATI Remote Wonder
- ATI Multimedia Center
- ATI Decoder
- ATI Parental Control & Encoder
- ATI Control Panel
- ATI Catalyst Control Center
- ATI Display Driver (click "Select All" on it's window)
- ATI Software Uninstall Utility

You may now restart your computer manually and be prepared to hit F8 after BIOS/POST tests to enter into Safe Mode.

2) In Safe Mode as Administrator, run Driver Cleaner Pro. You may have to manually browse for it in My Computer, C: Program Files, Driver Cleaner Pro and manually double-click on the executable as it doesn't always make a shortcut for Administrator. Select "Multiple Cleaning Filters" and "Add" every entry for ATI. If you've had prior videocards or video drivers (such as Intel or NVidia), it would be wise to add them too. Run the Cleaner to completion.

3) After Driver Cleaner Completes, DISCONNECT ANY NETWORK CABLE/INTERNET. It's important your PC has no internet or network access for the next few steps. Yanking the network cable is the best way to ensure this.

4) Boot up in Normal mode. Copy the intel chipset software from above to the top level, C: drive. "infinst_autol.exe" is the normal filename.

5) Start Menu, Run and type: cmd. This should launch a DOS prompt/window. Type:
CD C:\ (enter)
infinst_autol.exe -A -OVERALL

6) The Intel Chipset software installer should come up. Agree to the license, OK to the readme, etc.etc.. let this run to completion. *This MAY cause some devices to stop functioning, such as your mouse or other USB devices. If this happens, it's NORMAL.. just use the keyboard to tab/move to the Finish button at the end* It will want to reboot upon completion. Do so.

7) After the fresh reboot, You may now delete the intel chipset file on the top/root of C: and on your desktop.

8) Reboot/Restart Windows one more time and let it stabilize for a few minutes at the desktop. Now run the ATI 6.1 Catalyst driver install previously saved on your desktop. Pick the "Express" install and let it run to completion.

9) Let it restart upon completion and after the restart, allow windows to settle for a few moments before doing anything else. At this point, you may reconnect your network/broadband.

Give these steps a whirl and report back your findings. Hopefully all of the above should clear your issue with the Rage Theatre chip and if not, it's quite possible you have a dud card.

Feedback from ATI techs....

[Tony - 30/1/2006 17:38:27] Hi, please note not all the cards are fitted with the rage theatre chip, please check on the card itself, if yours is, it will be on the back of the card, opposite the fan. If not, please remove or disable the driver in device manager. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks Tony

I replied - I have done this and still random hangs....

Well, I followed Sharkfood's instructions almost exactly, step by step.

The only difference was the fact that I have a biostar motherboard and had to
get the biostar bios update.

Everything else i did exactly.

No reaction at all... I still crash often when viewing full screen videos, sometimes when
viewing windowed videos (both avi and wmv formats), still lockup when playing hl2
and I lockup/crash when playing Sims 2.

I'm starting to think I bought a lemon card. It's really bothering me since I don't believe
I can get my money back.

Does anyone have any other recommendations at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back