What is better for video editting AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puncrawcboi92

I hear people say AMD is the best cpu, but then i hear people say Intel all the way for editting.

I use programs such as
3DS Max 6
Poser 5
Adobe After Effects 6.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Flash MX 2004
Photoshop CS2

Current specs
Windows XP home
Athlon Xp 2600+
1gig of muskin pc 2100 ram
ATI AIW 8500DV
MSI KT2 Combo Mother board

Compilers, Photoshop & 3dsmax are faster with AMD CPUs if you can afford to get a high-end one (LINK).

If you can get a cheap dual-core Pentium-D that would be a much powerfull solution for your tasks though. Or better yet if you can afford it, go with an Athlon64-X2. :p

That was the general rule, but it no longer is the case, read up on the latest dual-core releases. Athlon64-X2 CPUs match most of the of the high end P4 (even the EE) & beat them in other occasions.

Didou said:
That was the general rule, but it no longer is the case, read up on the latest dual-core releases. Athlon64-X2 CPUs match most of the of the high end P4 (even the EE) & beat them in other occasions.

do you think he can afford an X2 for about 537 dollars or even a p4 EE for about 1k.

If he uses it for work, why not ? We have no budget information so I answered in the best case scenario (money coming out of the wazoo :p).

its more of amd for gaming and such and such

as intel is to video editing more of the office types its more of the multi tasking for intel

amd is just for speed and performance

Soon enough we'll start hearing that AMD isn't compatible with certain software, has horrible FPU performance &/or Pentiums still have the FDIV bug & aren't as fast as a 486 running at the same speed. :p

I'm saying that things change every day, things that were true at the beginning of the year can be completely different today & as such is the case with video & media encoding.

If he's on a budget, then he should get a HyperThreading Pentium4 or a Pentium-D. If he's not limited, there's no reason to get anything other then a X2 4800+.

FYI, the Pentium-D 830+ (Dual core P4 3ghz, 2mb L2 cache) retails for only ~$400

Prices have dropped considerably in just a few months

puncrawcboi92 said:
I hear people say AMD is the best cpu, but then i hear people say Intel all the way for editting.

I use programs such as
3DS Max 6
Poser 5
Adobe After Effects 6.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
Flash MX 2004
Photoshop CS2

Current specs
Windows XP home
Athlon Xp 2600+
1gig of muskin pc 2100 ram
ATI AIW 8500DV
MSI KT2 Combo Mother board

My guess (I haven't checked prices but) he has over $1,800 just in software on a XP 2600 so he must have the money ;), Didou has been telling you the truth and so does the website he gave you, I use a X2 64 4200+ at work and nothing compares to it.

Intel has been falling behind, not by much. Its a roller coaster but AMD keeps improving what INTEL does just like how 64 bit started - INTEL made then AMD tweaked it to make it better.

Nails in the Coffin...

One more nail in the RIP Intel Coffin is that they have lost the Encoding Grand Champ belt to AMD. Getting an AMD FX55, FX57, 4400 or 4800 Will be Better for encoding then an Intel. :knock:

And once again one more reason AMD are lead free >>> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~100018,00.html

AMD (NYSE:AMD) today reported sales of $1.260 billion and net income of $11 million, amounting to $0.03 per diluted share, for the quarter ended June 26, 2005.

Intel came out with their second-quarter results in the market today and reported a jump in the profits by 16%. In addition, the sales were in the region of $9.23 billion. However, they still managed to disappoint the market expectations, as the profit margins were lower than expected. These results led to a fall in the share prices of Intel in the market as it fell down by around 6%. It was trading at close to $28 in the early trading on the NASDAQ Stock Market.

Even thought Intel sales are still on the increase they are lagging in the stocks and that is where it counts if they keep on a 6% downward slope for the the next few quarters, they wont be doing so well in a year or two. puke:

This is a home pc, I am not old enough for a job so i only have $1000 from my parents, and the 1st thing with buying a new pc is what processor brand (4 me atleast) So i need to know

SaBRENT said:
My guess (I haven't checked prices but) he has over $1,800 just in software on a XP 2600 so he must have the money ;), Didou has been telling you the truth and so does the website he gave you, I use a X2 64 4200+ at work and nothing compares to it.]

The company my dad works for buys that software for him.
It is like around 5k, i think

AMD vs Pent

Beware of package systems, either way. With that cost ceiling theres no clear benifit either way. If you already have monitor, printer, etc, then go with a custom built Pentium on a media center pc.
If not, current packages on athlons with large lcds are very attractive. HP is making some good offers. Watch the cache sizes and ram or true performance will suffer. Athlons need large cache on hd to compete with the pents. The cache on hd allows the slower processor speed of amd to compete with the considerably higher pent. Bus on amd should be 1600mhz or 2000, they use them.
AMD could build a better computer for price, but pents are easier to configure without fear of regretting a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back