What is better Geforce or Radeon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Geforce is the way to go but there are obviously other opinions out there. What do u think? I'll hopefully get some replys in here

cheers goin out to poertner_1274

I think it depends on your needs. For less than $100, I'd go with a Ti4200......

For more than $170, The R9500PRO models outperform the 5600"FX" series, and over $200, the R9700 and R9800 series are excellent choices as well.

I think the 5600U is a bit pricey for what you get, and the revision2's are still hard to come by....and the FX5900U is just overpriced....many Nvidia fans have ditched thier 5900U's in favor of the less expensive R9800PRO's....and are very happy about the change (superior FSAA)

I think the Geforce4MX for less than $40 is still a heckuva card for the entry level market, but a bit dissapointed in the 5200 performance and price.......I think an old GF3 is still a better card at a cheaper price.....

Just my opinion, of course, not really a "fan" of either company, just depends on what you have to spend:grinthumb

I recently bought both Radeon 9800 Pro (for my main pc) and a Radeon 9600 Pro (for my second pc) and they are both great cards.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with FSAA, as so far I haven't noticed much difference in games I've tried (MDK2 and System Shock 2). There is a small improvement in image quality when nothing is moving, as then you have time to look at the aliasing artifacts on object boundaries, but during normal gameplay, where the object boundaries are constantly moving, its difficult to notice much difference.

The worst part of enabling FSAA is that you lose around 30% in performance and things don't look that much better. In fact its hard to notice any improvement, as only object boundaries are affected, and texture maps remain unchanged (or at least I couldn't detect any difference). The resolution you play at seems to have more of an impact on image quality than does FSAA, or at least that has been my experience so far.

Has anyone else here had similar experience of FSAA? Please let us know your opinion.

PreservedSwine: I don't know of anyone that has ditched their 5900U cards in favour of 9800 Pro cards. They'd loose too much money for a start, and the image quality difference would be barely perceptable.

Originally posted by Nic
I recently bought both Radeon 9800 Pro (for my main pc) and a Radeon 9600 Pro (for my second pc) and they are both great cards.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with FSAA, as so far I haven't noticed much difference in games I've tried (MDK2 and System Shock 2). There is a small improvement in image quality when nothing is moving, as then you have time to look at the aliasing artifacts on object boundaries, but during normal gameplay, where the object boundaries are constantly moving, its difficult to notice much difference.

The worst part of enabling FSAA is that you lose around 30% in performance and things don't look that much better. In fact its hard to notice any improvement, as only object boundaries are affected, and texture maps remain unchanged (or at least I couldn't detect any difference). The resolution you play at seems to have more of an impact on image quality than does FSAA, or at least that has been my experience so far.

Has anyone else here had similar experience of FSAA? Please let us know your opinion.

PreservedSwine: I don't know of anyone that has ditched their 5900U cards in favour of 9800 Pro cards. They'd loose too much money for a start, and the image quality difference would be barely perceptable.

Check NVnews. The Nvida fan-website. Several of peeps have:)

Also, as far as no desire for FSAA, all I can say is to each his own. I can't stand jaggies now that I'm used to fine FSAA. fps around ~100 in BF1942 w/ 16xQ AF and 4XFSAA on my rig. No FSAA simply isn't an option.

I think that menas plenty of savings in your pocket ;)

If you're not going to be using FSAA and AF liberally, no real need for any of the high-end cards and their megga bandwidth. A good old Ti4600 will run all games w/ fps to spare as long as there's no FSAA or AF...heck of alot cheaper too

Anyway, I'd suggest a trip to nVnews.net and check out the video card forums there. Coming form an Nvidia site, you'll get the idea.............as far as FSAA quality is concerned and how important it is for the true enthusiast:bounce:

Do you suppose that trilinear filtering is enough for a smooth image. That's what I use in MDK2, and I didn't notice much difference between enabling FSAA (4x) with AF (8x), and without, but my frame rate for 9600 Pro dropped from 110 fps to 82 fps. I only noticed a small improvement in edge smoothness, but nothing significant. I'll try out some other games once I've finished rebuilding my PC and report back then. Thanks for the additional info PreservedSwine, I'll take a look later.

I am rmwc boys, just i caused a lot of trouble in other forums and got kicked, but ive undergone a reneisance and im a new man, but i still hate AMD

Originally posted by Nic
Do you suppose that trilinear filtering is enough for a smooth image. That's what I use in MDK2, and I didn't notice much difference between enabling FSAA (4x) with AF (8x), and without, but my frame rate for 9600 Pro dropped from 110 fps to 82 fps. I only noticed a small improvement in edge smoothness, but nothing significant. I'll try out some other games once I've finished rebuilding my PC and report back then. Thanks for the additional info PreservedSwine, I'll take a look later.

Tri-linear does *nothing* for clearing up jaggies, it increases sharpness tremendously, however.

I can't really explain why I'm addicted to quality FSAA, I used to not care *at all*

Now, after being used to it, no FSAA sticks out like a sore thumb. really has ruined me:(

AF is equally, if not more impirtant, texture sharpness w/ no mip-map lines w/ good fsaa, and I'm in heaven:grinthumb

What is FSAA? i have the Geforce FX 5200 128mb and that can play all the latest games out at the mo with all the graphical extras on, i hear it a pretty cheap card to

Originally posted by rory1
I am rmwc boys, just i caused a lot of trouble in other forums and got kicked, but ive undergone a reneisance and im a new man, but i still hate AMD
I just looked at your profile, and you are a football fan. Strangely, I actually suspected that when reading your posts. ;)

If you don't like AMD, then that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. Have you had a bad experience with AMD? An opinion doesn't count for much without some reasoning behind it. How would you feel if AMD weren't around and you had to pay double for your P4 based system? That's the reality of the business world, competition brings down prices.

Also, try searching google for Intel processor/chipset bugs. I think you'll find that Intel aren't the 'quality' manufacturer you think they are. AMD, being the underdog have to produce quality products just to compete, and have had a much better record with regard to bugs in their products.

If you want to be taken seriously, then at least try and back up your statements with links and facts, rather than simply opinion made to resemble fact. That doesn't work around here as there are too many intelligent individuals on these forums that do know what they are talking about.

PS: Welcome to the boards rory1, and I hope you really are a changed man. Just don't revert to that other nasty person you were before, as no one will want to talk to you here if you do. Have fun here, its a good place to hang out, and who knows, you just might learn something. :)

Well i thought my duron was pretty crap, it overheated at times and my pc crashed frequently, and as far as i knew everything was installed fine. Upon the arrival of the P3 (amazing at its time) at my residents i found that it worked better, things just seems to run smoother and i found i could do more things at once. I think that if ur after a speed demon and want the best spec possible, Pentium is the way to go. But for users who dont want the best and are more money concious AMD is the way.

Also i think if there wasnt AMD, computer addiction wouldnt be such an issue. Eventually Pentium would have to moderate its prices if no1 was buying them, its just that pc's wouldnt be such a standard thing nowadys, u can look at that as eithre a good or bad thing. Oh and Nic im not a jock or watever yanks call them, and its soccer i play, not the american *****s version of rugby.

In conclution, AMD is ideal for beginner to intermeadite users and people who have a budget, whereas Pentium is great for more advanced users with a bit of cash to spend.

Have you ever considered that the fact your duron overheated was because of an inadequate heatsink/fan being fitted, rather than any inherent problem with the cpu?

Also, AMD cpus are as stable and reliable as anything Intel ever made. Issues for some users, in the past, were more likely caused by poor quality mainboards, rather than AMDs fault, as most AMD processors, especially durons, were aimed at budget systems.

Intel remember make their own chipsets, and you probably spent more on that P3 system than you did on your duron, so you're hardly comparing apples to apples.

The sort of troubles you had are not even relevent thesedays, as there are a multitude of solid performing reliable chipsets for AMD systems available.

As for overheating, the new Intel Prescotts are rumoured to dissapate upwards of 100 watts, which is way hotter than anything AMD has available. The P4 3.06GHz is currently the hottest running CPU available.

And if you think that Intel would moderate its prices if there wasn't any competition, then I would have to agree, only the moderated prices would still be double what you are currently paying. I still remember paying £400 for my 486DX266 cpu, in 1994. Today I can buy an Athlon XP 1700+ that overclocks to 3200+ performance, for a mere £45. I just did this a few weeks ago, and my nForce 2 system has been utterly stable since.

Oh, and I am a 'jock', as you put it.

well my old pc had pretty good specs, apart from the duron, my fan was definately adequate because i made sure it was ok to go with the duron, although the pentiums are more expensive id still pay out, ihave a p4 2.66 now and its great, my pc seems to be perfect. To be honest i still live in a world were a pc is a big luxury so paying a lot for 1 doesnt bother me. About the new p4 3.06 being hot, well the more powerful the system the hotter its gonna get, but my p3 at the time was only slightly faster than the duron and never had one heating problem with it.

Strange, you seem to be complaining about your hot P4 over in another thread. Also, how can your heatsink/fan for your duron possibly have been adequate, if it was then you wouldn't have had heat problems, would you?

im not complaining about my p4, since im a rookie i wonderd weather it getting warm at the back was bad, but about my old system. I did make sure it was fine, but i assure u that my system got very warm indeed, bordering hot. This wasnt the only reason i swapped it, it crashed a lot and jitterd, once i had my p4 installed it never happened.

i've always been gforce however if ATi's products stay ahead of NVidias like they have been, I think I'll be making a transition.

btw, thanks for banning that rmrc guy....all he did was flame people, and start threads like "intel vs amd" or this thread.....its like come'on, he just registered and wants to start something up - when he knows this has probbly been disscussed a million times aready.

sorry for going a bit off topic here.

I noticed you are only '14' rory1. Did you rob a bank to buy your computer? I guess everything makes sense now (bad spelling, bad attitude, lack of knowledge, etc.) :=). At least we can now understand you a bit better, and hopefully advise you better as well. We won't have to make too many assumptions, if you know what I mean. AMD all the way ... Athlon64 ... Opteron ..., hehe :=).

Originally posted by ---agissi---
i've always been gforce however if ATi's products stay ahead of NVidias like they have been, I think I'll be making a transition.

btw, thanks for banning that rmrc guy....all he did was flame people, and start threads like "intel vs amd" or this thread.....its like come'on, he just registered and wants to start something up - when he knows this has probbly been disscussed a million times aready.

sorry for going a bit off topic here.
--agissi--: rory1 IS rmrc ! They are the same person.

yeah I just found that out.....hehehe

Now who was it - you, or acid that he had a better education then :D ahahaha

"since im a rookie i wonderd weather it getting warm at the back was bad", now thats proof of an education!

Btw, rcmw, my beautiful, wonderful, sexy, delicious AMD processor runs quite well at 180F (idle) ;) Dunno about your P4, but no worrys about overheating right here.

what has technical knowledge about a computer overheating got to do with a good education, i think being good at english maths and science is more useful than konwing the ins and outs of a piece of machinery.

when did i once say my p4 was overheating? i said it got warm at the back when playing demanding games, maybe when you start interpriting peoples sentances properly u can dish out abuse that u think is smart and funny.

Since exams got a whole lot easier, what appears to be a good education these days, is really not all it seems. Your posts don't indicate the apparent good 'education' you seem to claim you have. Being intelligent involves an ability to reason and understand, and has nothing to do with passing exams. When you understand that, then maybe, you'll be on your way to becoming educated, like the rest of us are here :=).

I notice you can't handle some of your own medicine rory1. Now maybe you can understand how others feel. But then again, maybe not. Why not start with a clean slate and apologise to all those you have offended? It would be a good start, don't you think?

First of all exams havnt got easier, they have become more difficult. Also exams mean more today and more pressure is excerted on pupils to pass them so dont tell me whats what grandpa. Since im online and not in a class room i dont class good grammar and spelling as a priority, as long as u can understand what im saying thats fine. Taking exams tests ur ability to reason and come to logical conclustions, thats why they were introduced. I can easily hold my own in any convo and maybe u should stop being so full of ur self old timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back