What is Data Execution Prevention?

learninmypc

Why am I getting a pop up by the notification area telling me that everytime I shut down iTunes? This is on my Vista laptop. I click it
DATA Execution.JPG

It what protect your files. It is what I was trying to tell you about. With the shock player in Vista. You can change the settings in it to allow your Itunes. This is why it it is throwing a error at you now. I don't really remember how. But if you read the help file there it may explain to you how to do it. This program here is what was vista downfall . Sense Vista though in 7 and up it has changed.

It what protect your files. It is what I was trying to tell you about. With the shock player in Vista. You can change the settings in it to allow your Itunes. This is why it it is throwing a error at you now. I don't really remember how. But if you read the help file there it may explain to you how to do it. This program here is what was vista downfall . Sense Vista though in 7 and up it has changed.
Ok, thank you. I'll read it & try to change it or dump itunes.

LOL welcome to the world of Vista. To tell the truth this is the main reason . I only used Vista for a short time. I now have 7 and 8.1 . Which I like both of them.

LOL welcome to the world of Vista. To tell the truth this is the main reason . I only used Vista for a short time. I now have 7 and 8.1 . Which I like both of them.
We'll I do have 7 but since vista was a gift, I can't complain. Better than nothing, I think :)

DEP: Data Execution Prevention is a smart approach to avoiding in-memory virus'.

There are primarily three distinct areas of memory (as seen by the running program:
  1. the OS kernel area
  2. the application code
  3. and the application data area
The EXE & DLLs are loaded into (2) and the I/O buffers should always be in (3).

A common attack is to load malicious software via I/O and then force a means to execute it. The goal of DEP is to detect that attempt and prevent programs from using (3) as if it were (2).

~90% of our software will tolerate DEP and thus you should enable it.

Yes , It should help you out.

Jobeard is right. This what DEP was design just for that purpose. It just in Vista it could be a pain in the butt.It some times just will not let programs like ITunes be. Which in the long run might be a good thing.
Yes. Basically it is a good feature used to make your code safer from injection attacks. Executing code from data sections of memory is just really bad practice. It isn't a surprise iTunes is a culprit as it is a great demo of how not to write a Windows application. Stability, bugs, services, data execution.

Ok, did such & am back up but after running the confirmation part, nothing came up.
Am hesitant about reinstalling iTunes just to see if it works " normal". No biggie, I have vlc.

BTW:
I've had iTunes on XP/Pro Sp2 and now on Win7/Pro Sp1 and never had any issues.

I had it on my W7 & no problems. This thread is on my Vista Home Premium 32bit. I only downloaded it for the visualizations. It don't matter either way if I get it back.:)

Last edited:
Yes you need to reinstall Itunes. But I would not be in a hurry to do this to you see if Itunes acts up again

Back