What is hpqthb08.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased and installed a HP Deskjet F4480. Since then when I try to open HP Photosmart Premier I get a popup stating titled "Missing Shortcut". It reads "Windows is searching for hpqthbo8.exe. To locate the file yourself click on browse".

After a short period of time a second popup comes up "Problem with Shortcut" It reads "The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'HP Photosmart Premier.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again.

Any suggestions what I can do so I can use HP Photosmart Premier.

Thanks for the help

Whenever there is printer trouble, the first thing to do is uninstall/reinstall.

For HP peripherals, they load the system with useless processes and put the all on the Start menu. The hpqthbo8.exe is a process for the HP Image Zone Fast Start. You don't need this to run. The usual fix is to take it off of Start:

Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> find the process and uncheck it> Click on Apply> OK.

Reboot the computer. The first time you reboot after making a change using msconfig, you get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

Select your printer either through the File menu or All Programs. It should now work fine.

As a matter of fact, I usually tell people to uncheck 'all of the HP related process on Startup. None need to start on boot and printer will start fine when you need it.

All my printers, scanners and all-in-ones have been from HP.

Thanks for your response.

Followed your suggestion to remove "hpqthb08.exe" but could not locate it in Start.

I may not have been clear in my initial message.

My printer works fine. Until I loaded the software for the new printer I had no problem accessing "HP Photosmart Premier". After I added the software than I get the Missing Shortcut and the Problem with Shortcut issues.

Thanks again

It's a part of the HP Imaging Zone:

• [1]. Click the Windows "Start" menu on the desktop. Click "Run" and type "%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without quotes), and then click "OK." Click "Create a restore point" on the Welcome to System Restore page and click "Next." Type in a name for your restore point and click "Create." Click "Close." This will back up the registry and your computer system.
    [2]. Press the Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys on your keyboard at the same time to open the Windows Task Manager. Click the "Processes" tab to show the currently running processes on your computer.
    [3]. Scroll down and click "Hpqthb08.exe." Click "End Process."
    [4] Click the Windows "Start" button and click "Run." Type "msconfig" (without quotes) and press "Enter" to open the Systems Configuration Utility.
    [5].Click on [b[]Selective Startup[/b]> Click the "Startup" tab and remove a check from "HP Image Zone." Click on Apply> "OK" and restart your computer. This will remove HP Image Zone from startup and prevent it from running [in the background].

NOTE: The first boot after making a change using msconfig brings up a nag message that your can ignore and close after checking 'don show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.
Removal courtesy eHow with some editing from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back