TechSpot

What is multicast filtering?

By SNIL
Apr 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The reason I asked is because I had to disable it in my router to finally get rid of all the lag in World of Warcraft. What does it do and should I have it enabled? I have the SPI firewall still up and my MTU set manually to 1500 on my cable setup.
  2. REB_ElMagnifico

REB_ElMagnifico Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

I am not sure what disable multicast filtering would do on that particular router, however...
    Multicasting is a form of broadcasting which, in a home network, basically means that useless information was being sent across your network. Disabling that option probably acted like a weed killer in a garden...now the flowers can breath.
  3. REB_ElMagnifico

REB_ElMagnifico Newcomer, in training Posts: 32

Well...after pondering a bit after answering your question, I began to question myself, so I did some research...
    From this website: http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/switches/ss3/management/ug/mlticast.htm
    I interpret that multicast filtering does the opposite of what I said. So disabling the filter should actually decrease performance (according to the article). But if disabling the option solved the problem, then...awesome.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.