TechSpot

What is the best DVD rip output options with great quality

By pccamara
Mar 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi everyone
    I'm trying to put all my dvd collection (about 500 dvd's) in my extern disk.
    I' ve read some news but i'm still confuse and need you expert help:
    I thought the best video format after DVD was mp4, am i wrong? Why?
    How to convert DVD to that best format with great quality. Most of my movies have between 1.2GB and 2GB.
    Tks a lot for your answers
    Best regards
    Pedro Camara

2. Mark56

Mark56 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,889

3. pccamara

pccamara TS Rookie Topic Starter

Not sure if this was the right answer and also, doesn't answer the how to question.
    Tks anyway for your reply.
    Anyone?

4. Mark56

The answer to your "how to" question is dependent on what video format you want to convert to. First you need to decide what format you are going to use and then find the appropriate software. There are a good number of free converters available to download you just need to search on line.

There is no definitive answer to your main question. There are hundreds of different video formats to choose from. I believe that is explained in the guide and that it also states that the best format to convert to is HD - AVI, but that is mainly due to it being the most versatile at a fairly high quality. What format you choose will relate to three main factors, the quality you require, the versatility of the format and the disc space it will use.

5. pccamara

pccamara TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi again Mark and tks for your reply
    As i told before, i need to convert my entire dvd collection and also i'm use to 1.2GB till 2GB per movie.
    The best movie format i don't know that's why i asked.
    You think you can help me now?
    Many thanks
    Pedro

6. Mark56