TechSpot

what is the best graphics card on the market?

By parissearles
Feb 8, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am buying a new system which i will be using for architectural applications like AutoCAD, 3D Studio MAX, Rhinoceros and Photoshop. I need a powerful graphics card to handle complex graphics associated with rendering and 3D modeling.

What is the consensus?
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

3. somekid007

somekid007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 369

for 3d work, look at ati's fire gl line or nvidia's quadro. i'd prolly buy the fire gl 9700 if money isnt an obstacle
  4. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Re: Re: what is the best graphics card on the market?

Something else to consider for workstation apps is the Matrox Parhelia....256MB version. I've got some users of Microstation using that card and it's been flawless.

Just my $.02
  5. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,291   +262

Not gonna beat a professional grade card like a FireGL or a Quadro FX. If you are talking about spending real money for real CAD cards then these are the only things you should be looking at. If you're building a budget CAD machine then I'd put a Radeon 9800 Pro in there.
  6. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

We'll find out here this week. I've got one of each coming in for a test bed.....Parhelia, FireGL and QuadroFX. I'll keep ya' posted.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.