what is this about?

By catfish
Jul 15, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I got an email saying I was a member here and to come and invite myself.

I don't recall being here before. What is this forum about? Was it named something else previously? Does anyone remember me or what I was talking about?

This must be about 1% of what it's like to have amnesia.
  2. dani_17

dani_17 Newcomer, in training Posts: 208

Maybe you posted something sometime and you got an email advising you that someone replied to your post. That's probably what happened.

Anyway, welcome, you can stay here, it's one of the best forums arround!!!
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

This is a technical forum where we discuss computer related problems, as well as general issues. Even though you stumbled on us by accident, we are glad you did and hope you enjoy your time spent here ;)
  4. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Doesn't matter - why don't you stay and talk to us anyway??
  5. catfish

catfish Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hi catfish,

I noticed that you joined the TechSpot Forums recently:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/

In case you haven't been welcomed yet, I'd like to formally welcome you to the forums now. We're glad you've chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

If you haven't introduced yourself to the community, now it'd be a great time to do so, come to the "Introductions" forum and post a message there:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=24

Let me know if you have any suggestions for the forums.
    I look forward to seeing you around!

best regards,

Julio Franco H.
    TechSpot - Editor in Chief
    http://www.techspot.com

This is the email I got. I came and asked about it because i never recieve emails like this, and I've never seen this forum before. But my username and standard password is used for this account, so it would not be a case of someone else signing me up to it (unless they know my password, AND the password to my hotmail account which is a different one and deleted the emails sent when you sign up to the forum).

What is the hot topics of discussion? Hardware? Software? Programming? Websites? Making money from computers? I am most interested in the last one. I'm doing a bachelor of IT at CQU in australia at half-pace so it should only take me 6 years to complete at this pace. (Yeah, I said "only" 6 years). I would rather work/have time to do stuff in my life than study full time and go insane.

Currently I'm contracting to a business that has a contract for Dell warranties. The work has been slow and they pay me by the job so I want to try to make money through other avenues. I've been told selling stuff online is quite lucrative.
  6. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,040

Usually, alot of the popular forums like phpBB2, Invision, vBulletin, etc., like to send alot of automatic messages. Julio didn't write that manually and personnally send it to you, that was automated.

This is mostly about computer and technology talk.
  7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,520   +311

Another possibility would be that catfish siged up in the forums when downloading any drivers from our drivers section. That is the only area of the site that works dynamically right now and encourages you to register to make use of a feature for personalized pages, kind of "My.TechSpot" but only for that section.

To make things even clearer to you, since vB 2 doesn't have an automated welcome mail feature, etc. I started sending out those welcome/reminder mails yesterday using a group mail software. Now obviously I'm only sending to those who registered, it's very strange that catfish doesn't remember...

In any case I have now setup vB registrations with email confirmation, so you must have to provide a functional email address in order to be able to register, that way we can avoid registrations from people that never will make use of them.
    We will soon start purging inactive users as well.
  8. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That sounds like a good idea. No point in keeping people around that don't do anything.
  9. catfish

catfish Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

i found it by doing a username search. it was when i was looking for ways to make an auto-installing winxp CD. i found the page via google and voiced a vote for someone to make a program that stips stuff off the winxp install.
  10. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Well agreed. I m suprised to see that there are 3000+ members and yet approx 5% of us are active members.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.