TechSpot

What is this connector called

By learninmypc
Jan 5, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. image.jpeg
    It's on the back of my tower where the monitor plugs in at? I know, kinda blurry but...

2. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

B00kWyrm likes this.
  3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 6,591   +335

4. learninmypc

In
    I went to an Office Depot today & after showing the guy the picture above, he told me I'd need an adapter to connect a monitor to my tower although I didn't need to as it is. The connector on the monitor they had there was more like the older type, like this image.jpeg
    What it would plug into. Sorry, I worded this wrong.

5. learninmypc

In
    I went to an Office Depot today & after showing the guy the picture above, he told me I'd need an adapter to connect a monitor & I believe this is what I need image.jpeg

B00kWyrm likes this.
  6. GeforcerFX

What monitor is it? can you post the link to it from there website

7. learninmypc

A friend is taking me to Costco today to get a monitor & the adapter cord. Then I'll regain my sanity, I hope

8. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,777   +241

If you are getting a new monitor today. You most likely will not need a adapter. . Most new monitors come with DVI cords. From what you have post in 1 Your pic of the dvi connecter on the back of the PC. You should be all set.

9. learninmypc

It'll depend on what Costco has, if it's same as shown above, fine, otherwise adapter been without tower too long.

10. Cobalt006

What do you mean adapter has been with out the tower to long? Most all monitors these days come with DVI cords. It should not really make a difference if you had it hook up with a vga cord before. If your Video chip is good in the computer. It will accept the DIV cord.

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

If you are buying a monitor, get one that matches the connection on your graphics card. In other words buy a monitor with DVI. That way you don't need to mess with an adapter or special cable. Most of the monitors I've bought the last ten years, support both VGA and DVI.

Cobalt006 likes this.
  12. learninmypc

Thank you all, I'm finally on my new monitor, NO adapter needed. It shows what a serious lack of sleep does to me (others). :) :)

Cobalt006 likes this.
  13. GeforcerFX

Seeing a lot of new monitors this year dropping DVI and going HDMI. Smart move imo since almost all systems sold over the last 2 years have a HDMI port.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. learninmypc

15. learninmypc

Need more help. It came with a CD (drivers,menu,etc,etc) but when I insert it in the drive, nothing happens. What do I need to do in Auto Play for it to open?

16. Cobalt006

If this is win 10. Go to the start menu. Click on it. Then go to settings click on it. Once in settings click on Devices. Once this opens scroll down to Auto Play and click on it. Once it opens make sure under ( Use Auto Play for all media and devices) is turn on. This should allow your cd to work then.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  17. learninmypc

Ok, it is that way, thanks,will try again. :)

18. Cobalt006

Let us know if you got it to work.

19. learninmypc

Oddly enough, it don't show anything for W10 on it,(the menu) the closest was W8. But it did say I already have the correct driver. When I first launched Firefox & Google Chrome, I had to expand both to fill the "smaller" screen. As I type, the print is (or seems to be) smaller.Otherwise no complaints. :)

20. Cobalt006

Well that's good to know. Beings that is a VGA monitor. Win 10 would already have a driver for it.

21. learninmypc

Ok, :) Thank you :)

Cobalt006 likes this.