TechSpot

What is Wintapi.exe

By The Best Alias
Jan 3, 2005
  1. Another sick machine has made it to my doorstep. Task mgr reveals a process called wintapi.exe sitting railed at 99% CPU usage and about 70% memory usage, even in safe mode. I couldn't get the machine to do anything. I gave up after about an hour. It's a total data loss as I reformatted the HD.

Question 2, I did plug in an external drive, do you think this bug mighta copied itself over to the external drive? I ain't plugging it back into any of my machines until I format it as well.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

TAPI is the Telephony-Application-Programming-Interface and is the standard for telephone support under Windows.
    This normally connects a phone and a PC, using the serial port (as in older, serial modems).
    Newer versions support ISDN, and the latest version (probably the one that gave you grief), uses TCP/IP.
    That "sick" PC probably only had a rogue dialler, which could have been found using various anti-spyware programs. Did you try killing it in Taskmanager?
    Also see my thread How to remove Begin2Search / Coolwebsearch with lots of programs for that.

And your second external drive is OK, wintapi does not propagate itself.

3. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 113

Yask manager was about the only thing I could get to come up. I'd kill the process and and it'd come right back. If I launched my computer, the machine would just flat out stop dead in it's tracks. I couldn't load a CD with any spyware utils on it, and I certainly know better than to plug a sick PC into my lan. I certain there was more wrong with it, that was the process I saw sitting raild out. Thanks, I knew I had heard of tapi before, I just couldn't place it.

-Richard

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.