What is wrong with my video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzixjay

Hi guys, sorry I have to post a problem with my 1st post 👋 .
I have a ati9800pro 128mb and its having a problem..I'll let the pictures explain
I don't think it overheated or anything since I'm not a heavy gamer... so can anyone explain what happen to it? I had it for about 2 and 1/2 yrs.
Thanks in advance!

Could be a number of possibilities, but the likey cause is your card is dying. Let's try a few things to help troubleshoot.

1. Open up your case, blow the dust off the graphics card and then aim a house fan directly at the GPU. Turn on your system and see if this makes the problem lessen. 9800s are well known to be overheaters (even when not gaming).

2. Could be a PSU problem. Download and run THIS and tell us what it is reporting for your voltage readings on the:

+3.3v:
+5v:
+12v:

Thanks for the reply, I just took out the card and put it in my brother's computer and it seem the problem is gone...(think it might come back again) and heres the readings I get from speedfan:
+3.3V: 2.95V
+5v: 5.03V
+12V: 11.07V

It may be your powersupply then. You say the card seems to work fine in your brother's system? Play a game or to just to test it.

Your reading on the +12v looks pretty bad. Software readings of voltages are not all that reliable, but still, it is looking like we may have found your problem.

I just try watching a video on my bro's comp and the graphic went bad again :mad: Oh yea the speedfan reading I post was from my bro's comp, heres what mine read:
+3.3v: 3.22v
+5.v: 5.14v
+12v: 12.03v
So I guess its the card then, well that gives me an excuse to upgrade it.
Whats good in the market for around $150?

if you're not a hardcore gamer ( or gamer at all... ) then you dont need to spend alot of money on high-end cards like the nVidia 7 series instead get a cheaper videocard

I do play alot of games, but I wont consider myself hardcore...yet.
So which one of the two consumes less power? since my PSU has only 420 watts

How many amps does it have on the +12V rail? Check the sticker attached to the PSU.
Then, we can recommend a good card :)

embarrassingly I have to say I can't find it :( I have a dell PC and I hate the design. I only know the PSU is located at the bottom..somewhere.

It should look like this:

psu_label_tn.jpg

:)

I don't see any stickers, since the PSU is located under the case and is cover up. But I find these on my user manual:
fixed-voltage power supply—110 V at 50/60 Hz

manual selection and auto-sensing power supplies—90 to 135 V at 50/60 Hz; 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz; 100 V at 50/60 Hz for Japanese computers
460 Watts

If I were you, I'd take out the PSU, and check its sticker (if it has any). If you have a cheap, chinese no-name PSU, then adding a new card could be risky.

But if you're gonna get a 7600GS for example, maybe you won't need to change your PSU.

What card do you want to get?

dell460.gif

Thanks to the nice people of DELL forum!
I'm planning on getting a X850pro but if my PSU can handle better ones I might go for something better, since I plan to keep my system for at least 1 more year.
So any suggestions?

That PSU should have no problem handling a high end card. It has 32amps on the +12v rail. Not bad at all so long as you are not thinking to go with SLI (you likely don't have enough watts for an SLI setup)

You'll just want to be sure it has enough watts for your system and the card you want. Go here and calculate how much you'll need:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

That PSU is the same one I have, only mine is the Crossfire-certified edition. But nevertheless, it's an awesome PSU. It looks small but packs a mean punch. It has served me well and my system works perfectly with it.

Yeah rage that PSU is going into all the builds im making because it's by far the best I ever seen for the price it has!
Thanks for linking me it rage =P

The 7800GS completely destroys the X850PRO left, right and centre. It's the most powerful card available for AGP (until the X1950 AGP arrives that is :)). A slightly cheaper alternative to the X850PRO would be the X800GTO. For NVIDIA, the alternative card is the 6800GS. Both the X800 series and the 6800 series are solid performers but I would prefer to go with the 6800GS since it is much more powerful than the X800GTO. But it's difficult to find, in which case the X800GTO is a gret alternative choice. In the end, it's up to you. Make a good choice that's within your reach and gives you the most bang-for-your-buck. And if it helps, avoid the X1600 series of AGP cards, since they're terribly slower than the X800 series and priced evenly or higher, which is a bad deal.

Yeah, definitely the 7800GS is a fantastic choice!! :)

And your PSU should have no problems with it. But maybe, if you can wait a little, you can check the X1950PRO. Maybe it will be able to defeat the 7800GS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back