What is WUSB54GCSVC service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

I keep getting this error in the event viewer: The WUSB54GCSVC service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

I've located the service in the registry, the ImagePath value is: "C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" , but strangely the Compact Wirelss-G.... folder is missing on my C drive!

I have couple questions:
What does the WUSB54GCSVC service do?
Why is the Compact Wireless-G folder missing? or how it should be intalled in the first place?

I don't know if this related to malware, any help are appreciated! :)

Two things that I found:

1. It is legitimate wireless driver. I suggest reinstalling your software for your wireless network card/adapter/etc.

2. Sometimes WUSB54GCSVC is a disguised malware. I would do a virus/malware scan. In fact, do this first. If clean, try reinstalling drivers for #1.

You will need to go to the Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services. Look for WUSB54GCSVC> right click> Properties> Change Startup type to Automatic> Start the Service> check the Dependencies tab> note any other Services that THIS Service depends on to work. Make sure THOSE Services are also set to either at least Manual> Apply> OK.

I have added a string from a HijackThis log to show you the different wording that may be with this Service, for instance 'GEMTEKS'. If you find a Service with that wording instead, THAT'S the one you need to run.

O23 - Service: WUSB54GCSVC - GEMTEKS - C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe

Bobby
You will need to go to the Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services. Look for WUSB54GCSVC> right click> Properties> Change Startup type to Automatic> Start the Service> check the Dependencies tab> note any other Services that THIS Service depends on to work. Make sure THOSE Services are also set to either at least Manual> Apply> OK.
The WUSB54GCSVC service is already set to Automatic on the Startup type, it has no dependencies on anything at all. Path to executable: "C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe" "WUSB54GC.exe", because the Compace Wirelss folder is missing, that's why it said " The system cannot find the path specified." when I tried to start it.

This line is from my HJT log:
O23 - Service: WUSB54GCSVC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor\WLService.exe (file missing)

Route44:
It is legitimate wireless driver. I suggest reinstalling your software for your wireless network card/adapter/etc.
yeah, I'm using linksys's adapter, it works fine. but I never reformat my computer before, so I don't understand why the driver would suddenly missing???

Sometimes WUSB54GCSVC is a disguised malware. I would do a virus/malware scan. In fact, do this first. If clean, try reinstalling drivers for #1
If I reinstall the driver, do I have to reset all the setting on my router?

Thanks for helping

Adu123

Adu123, I really can't answer your last question on the router because I don't know. Seems to me though that your router wouldn't be affeted with a wireless update, etc., but I am only guessing.

Although neither can I definitively answer the router setting question, seem to me that you are going to need to reinstall the driver.

As to what happened, that's an unknown. Just understand that every update, install and uninstall changes the system in some way.

Since my adapter is working fine, I don't think this is a big issue.

Thanks for all the advices, I appreciated it!

Adu123

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back