What kind of a graphics card for Compaq Presario 6000?

By chris_eazy
Oct 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well i am new to the site and want to know... that what kind of video card that well fit my computer.... it a Compaq presario 6000..

thanks
    -chris
  2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)

I couldn't find much info about your computer.
    Open it, and take a look at the mobo (motherboard ;) ), if you see only slots like these, you only have standard PCI slots:

[​IMG]

If you see a slot like this brown one (not necessarily brown, can be another color), then you have an AGP slot:

[​IMG]

If you're lucky enough, and have a long slot like this one, you have a PCI-Express slot:

[​IMG]

What kind of slot do you have?
    If you've only have standard PCI slots, check this great thread by Vnf4ultra:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51437.html

Regards :wave:
  3. F1N3ST

F1N3ST Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,088

They released a 128-Bit X1300, so get that, its 105$.
  4. chris_eazy

chris_eazy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

5. chris_eazy

Anyone

Anyone ?? plz help me...
  6. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Yes, but GeForce FX5200 isn't a good choice. Even Radeon 9250 would be much better.
  7. wolfram

If you have the brown slot, you have an AGP slot on your mobo. You can get an AGP card, like a 9600XT, a X1600PRO, a 7600GS or something similar.

And don't get a FX5200, it is an extremely low end card. Avoid it at all costs ;)
  8. chris_eazy

this my sound stupid but may i have some links... of those video cards.... plz
    thanks so much guys

-Chris

----------------------------------------------

i found one like mictlantecutli said ... i think it will work... i want one with the fun so it will cool down tooo.. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2367977&CatId=1603 OR this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1282028&sku=TC3H-1018 +++ it wont heart my money

witch is the best out of those 2 links ?
  9. wolfram

Don't worry mate ;) Here you go:

Radeon 9600XT 256MB

X1600PRO 512MB

7600GS 256MB

I'd say that a 9600XT is the minimum card you should get.

EDIT: Get the Sapphire 9600XT, is cheaper than the Diablotek one, and should be higher quality ;)
  10. chris_eazy

but well the diabloteck work on mine right ? or the better then it ?

thanks alot
  11. wolfram

Trying to answer your question (and understanding it ;) ) I think they should work on your computer (the diablotek & sapphire ones), but we need to know a couple of things first.

Please, check out this thread HERE by Howard.

12. chris_eazy

OK done...

HEY thanks for all ur help wolfram u do some good work!! thank u other guy for helping.....

thanks !
  13. wolfram

Ok, since you have a standard compaq PC, I'm pretty sure you'll need a new PSU (power supply unit), if you want to use a 9600XT.

I just hope that your Compaq's case can fit a normal ATX PSU. If you want to cut costs as much as possible, and get a quality PSU, get this one:

FSP Group ATX300-PA

Or if you want to be a bit future proof, and don't want to get a new PSU in some years, this one would be great:

FSP ATX400-PA

Or this another one would be the best, more expensive choice:

FSP Group AX450-PN

14. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,438

that last one wasnt that exspensive for that good of a PSU but eh if I was just upgrading because I didnt have a good PSU I would get the 2nd one and save some money for other things for computer =)
  15. wolfram

I have the second one, and it's a GREAT, reliable PSU. Highly recommended ;)
  16. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,277   +22

Fortron FSP is a quality PSU maker. So no doubts there.
  17. wolfram

Yeah Rage, FSP really makes great & cheap PSU's. My FSP PSU has 36A on the +12V rails!! And it only costed me $36.99 plus shipping @ Newegg!

It's now time to sleep hehe :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
  18. devilitzz

devilitzz Newcomer, in training

I have a standard compaq PC and i just bought 9600XT.do i really need to have a new PSU. Everytime i turn on the PC it shut-down.
  19. DGodbdy

DGodbdy Newcomer, in training

I have the same issue with a Presario 6000. Did you get a new PSU and how did the 9600XTcard work?
  20. WieldtheKey

WieldtheKey Newcomer, in training Posts: 22

Aren't Compaq Presarios very old computers?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.