What kind of a graphics card for Compaq Presario 6000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_eazy

well i am new to the site and want to know... that what kind of video card that well fit my computer.... it a Compaq presario 6000..

thanks
-chris

Hello and Welcome to Techspot!! :)

I couldn't find much info about your computer.
Open it, and take a look at the mobo (motherboard ;) ), if you see only slots like these, you only have standard PCI slots:

pci_t.jpg

If you see a slot like this brown one (not necessarily brown, can be another color), then you have an AGP slot:

agp_slot.jpg

If you're lucky enough, and have a long slot like this one, you have a PCI-Express slot:

pcie_lores_callouts.jpg

What kind of slot do you have?
If you've only have standard PCI slots, check this great thread by Vnf4ultra:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51437.html

Regards :wave:

If you have the brown slot, you have an AGP slot on your mobo. You can get an AGP card, like a 9600XT, a X1600PRO, a 7600GS or something similar.

And don't get a FX5200, it is an extremely low end card. Avoid it at all costs ;)

this my sound stupid but may i have some links... of those video cards.... plz
thanks so much guys

-Chris

----------------------------------------------

i found one like mictlantecutli said ... i think it will work... i want one with the fun so it will cool down tooo.. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2367977&CatId=1603 OR this one http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1282028&sku=TC3H-1018 +++ it wont heart my money

witch is the best out of those 2 links ?

Trying to answer your question (and understanding it ;) ) I think they should work on your computer (the diablotek & sapphire ones), but we need to know a couple of things first.

Please, check out this thread HERE by Howard.

Ok, since you have a standard compaq PC, I'm pretty sure you'll need a new PSU (power supply unit), if you want to use a 9600XT.

I just hope that your Compaq's case can fit a normal ATX PSU. If you want to cut costs as much as possible, and get a quality PSU, get this one:

FSP Group ATX300-PA

Or if you want to be a bit future proof, and don't want to get a new PSU in some years, this one would be great:

FSP ATX400-PA

Or this another one would be the best, more expensive choice:

FSP Group AX450-PN

that last one wasnt that exspensive for that good of a PSU but eh if I was just upgrading because I didnt have a good PSU I would get the 2nd one and save some money for other things for computer =)

Yeah Rage, FSP really makes great & cheap PSU's. My FSP PSU has 36A on the +12V rails!! And it only costed me $36.99 plus shipping @ Newegg!

It's now time to sleep hehe :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

I have a standard compaq PC and i just bought 9600XT.do i really need to have a new PSU. Everytime i turn on the PC it shut-down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back