TechSpot

what kind of motherboard do i have to get?

By kisserprostyler
Jul 4, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i was trying to install an ati radeon 9550 pro in my old 2350 dimension (dell)
    but i couldnt because it doesnt have any pci or agp slots , so now i think i have to get another motherboard but i dont know what kind
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

your dimension dell is an oem build and therefore you cannot buy standard parts to replace the old ones. it isn't guaranteed, but most dell cases and parts will not accomodate a standatd (micro) atx board.
  3. kisserprostyler

kisserprostyler TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

ok i see

thanks< you know how can i find out if it would fit ? is there like a webpage or something ?
  4. zephead

the only way you can find out is by measuring out the box yourself/trying to fit an atx board. some people could tell by looking.
  5. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 837

also there are mounting style issues and PSU issues (IE I've heard PSUs from dell are wired differently)
  6. zephead

that is correct. really the only parts of oem builds that generally are compatible with other pcs are the drives, cpu, and most expansion cards.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.