What makes AMD so fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Alright, im kinda a newbie to building and understanding computers, and i was wondering what makes AMD 64 processors so fast, while still having a low amout or GHZ?

AMD went a different route than Intel when developing their processors. They assumed (mostly correctly) that clockspeed would hit wall after wall before making the chip more efficient would.

AMD processors are able to execute more instructions per clock cycle than Intel processors, among other things. So, though you have a lower clock speed, it can get more work done in the same amount of time. Think of it like this: A guy who is digging a hole with a spoon versus a guy digging a hole with a shovel. They can both do the same work, but the guy with the shovel can get the hole dug faster without having to work harder.

Fleesh said:
why would you want to know that? I always see them as good gaming processors but not to good at anything else.... oh apart from keeping your case nice and toasty :blackeye:

You are misinformed.

Intel's CPUs are vastly hotter than AMD's processors, by the way.

Fleesh said:
so what your saying is amd's are better OVERALL?.... to this i would diagree

You really should go pay attention to some benchmarks. AMD right now holds the speed crown when it comes to raw performance. The Athlon64 and the Opteron more or less defeat comparable Intel cpus in roughly 75% of all benchmarks. Try reading some articles at THG or Anandtech, or actually comparing them yourself.

Fleesh said:
You have one bad temper fella. I was asking if you thought amd were better overall??? i would diagree with you on that. no need to call me ignorant and start flying of the handle for people having an opinion.......Muppet

AMD processors are better, overall, for x86 and x86-64 computing.

I am not flying off the handle. You made some misstatements and I wanted to point them out.

You first stated that AMD processors are good only for gaming or keeping your case hot and nothing else.

I'm more than willing to provide benchmark after benchmark as well as thermal specifications proving otherwise.

I think there's a bit of a mistake on my behalf yes. I think that you will find that the older amd's do run hotter than the equivalent intel... correct me if im wrong but i rekon im right. althought the newer 64's do run alot cooler than intel < this i didnt know my aplogies. I also always belived that amd chips were purley more for the gaming market and that intel's where better at multitasking etc.... sorry if im wrong but it's just what i've always thought.... i aint no geek man

There is absolutely no need to start getting personal. Just because someone disagrees with you.

Soul Harvester is entitled to an opinion, as are you. Calling someone a tart is childish to say the least.

Please respect other peoples opinions, even if they are not your own.

Regards Howard :(

Fleesh said:
I think there's a bit of a mistake on my behalf yes. I think that you will find that the older amd's do run hotter than the equivalent intel... correct me if im wrong but i rekon im right. althought the newer 64's do run alot cooler than intel < this i didnt know my aplogies. I also always belived that amd chips were purley more for the gaming market and that intel's where better at multitasking etc.... sorry if im wrong but it's just what i've always thought.... i aint no geek man

The last time AMD cpus were on average hotter than Intel cpus was when the Athlon XP Palomino core was the mainstream. This ended at the Athlon XP 2100+ Palomino which was several years ago.

Once the thouroughbred-b was released alongside the Northwood Pentium 4, from the AXP 1700+ tbred to the AXP 3200+ Barton, the Athlons were cooler or very comparable to the p4.

Once Intel released the Prescott core, from 2.8ghz to all the newer and faster P4s (especially 3.2ghz and above), the P4s were VASTLY hotter than the Athlon XPs, and amazingly hotter than the Athlon64s.

The Athlon64 is a wonderful gaming processor, but so is the Pentium4. However, on a whole, the only areas where the P4 can consistently come ahead of the A64, is in memory bandwidth (no longer true with the Athlon FX 57 and Athlon X2), and video editing. However, when it comes to mostly multi-tasking situations, the X2 comes ahead of the P4. In most generic office benchmarks, the A64 comes ahead of the P4 as well.

Fleesh said:
Ahh i see why u got a bit hot there your an AMD64 man :haha:

Pay closer attention to my profile if you are going to say that.

My 2 primary systems are as follows:

Athlon 64 3400+ 1MB

and

Pentium 4 830+ Dual-Core 3ghz

Fair enough a bow to your wisdom and aplogise for the tart comment. Didnt want to get into an argument as it's late here fella. Ill shut my mouth from now on

What's with you i was only saying.... oh never mind im to tired... go argue with someone else will ya

No hard feeling's ....................................................................................................but i win :p Just kiddin.

Just wanted to aplogise to soul harvester for the converstation last night. I admit i was truley WRONG on the subject and it just goes to show that you (meaning me) should get the facts write before writing anything. Just goes to show how outdated i am on processors. I was tired last night and i aplogise for flying of the handle at you (i know it's no excuse)..... Hope there's no bad feeling's and thankyou for updating me on some fact's. Many aplogies soul harvester and also to Howard. Sorry guys.

And there was me trying wondering why my p4 was running so much hotter than my 64. I thought there was something up with it.... at least i know that it's alright now :)

Deffinitely no bad feelings on my part.

We all make mistakes from time to time, we wouldn`t be human otherwise lol.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back